Sleeves are an overlooked form of pokemon merch

That’s amazing! Funny that they sticked with that silhouette style so long, looks like the sleeves got relatively little focus during that time if the quality too was what it was. Which sounds a bit odd when that was players’ era after all so you’d think sleeves would be important and wanted merch

Lots of cool new sleeves are coming out next week in Japan.

https://www.pokebeach.com/2024/05/japans-pokemon-center-tcg-accessories-for-may

7 Likes

Some really nice ones from the looks of it

2 Likes

In PK’s live stream interview with Nat Turner, it was mentioned that PSA is now grading something completely new. My bets are on card sleeves. Talk about a money maker. People would send in the 64 or 65 pack sleeves and grade them all.

1 Like

Nobody is going to buy graded sleeves. That is insane.

5 Likes

I sure hope not, taking a 12 cent sleeve and paying $15 for grading would be crazy.

Sadly people would buy it for species collectors of PSA 10 since it would be added to the registry requirement

5 Likes

If we are throwing out wild theories, I think PSA wants to get into the comic book / manga grading market to further compete with CGC and BGS.

2 Likes

That would make way more sense than sleeved

Might finally be sealed TCG booster boxes. Like with other people that authenticate them they could open the box, inspect the packs then seal them all in a PSA case similar to the Funkos.

If its decks (which i assume it wont be), I hope they have them documented correctly. Nothing worse than erroneous name labels.

Encasing sleeves and booster boxes…

The parody never ends. Someone should sue them for wastefulness.

2 Likes

Get your old earth plastic space junk right here!

Do you still have these?? :open_mouth:

I think most of these were awarded for winning local tournaments in Japan, and you could only win packs of 5 sleeves at a time. And yes, the maroon and orange “torchic” pokeball sleeves were the rarest at the time due to the limited tournaments being held.

For the gold pika sleeves, however, I came across packs of 62 sleeves so maybe they were distributed at another point after the tournaments as well?

cpbog1

2 Likes

Yep, I’ve got all of them! Some in bigger quantities than others. I wish there was better documentation around what sleeves were given out when!

I saw a post recently that the silver pokeball sleeves were given to use at the 2002 tropical mega battle - Mindy put them up for sale on virbank last week with the provenance, but it looks like the post is down now.

Not sure I’d call them “tropical mega battle sleeves” without more info, but they were at least handed out and used there!

3 Likes

I love me a good snorlax sleeve :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Here are some. :slight_smile:

Except for the last one, these were all cut from pictures of @mdlsoares amazing sleeves collection, which he shared in a Pikachu Discord we’re both active in. Here is that entire collection as imgur album (plus two more pictures of other collections I’ve saved at the very end, where the last Snorlax sleeve picture was from).

Greetz,
Quuador

6 Likes

Not to forget this Komiya beauty :ok_hand:

11 Likes

This is amazing

Except that diglet is about to discover a Dark Cave real soon…

4 Likes

I have two of these :joy: now to find the others :joy::joy:

2 Likes

Yes I have this one love it :heart_eyes:

2 Likes