"Pokemon Card 151" Set - General Discussion

Cute :pleading_face::pleading_face::pleading_face::pleading_face:

1 Like

15 Likes

How Parasect might have looked and behaved had his mind and body not been taken over by his parasitic captor.

2 Likes

Wow, this art actually makes me like Parasect

1 Like

That Magmar looks like its from Neo Destiny. Terrible perspective, no background. Awful direction.

Parasect OTOH looks amazing.

It looks like it’s about to fight Darkwing Duck!

AR Pikachu

illus. Hiroyuki Yamamoto

Character designer, they have only drawn a few cards with their first back in SM1M Collection Moon

https://twitter.com/yam_owl?s=21&t=93Bi2PxFezQ0Zhtkf5hgSQ

AR Nidoking

illus. Misaki Hashimoto

They have only drawn CHR since debuting in Dream League

AR Omanyte

illus. Yano Keiji

They drew the Delphox concept card in Pokémon Illustration Magazine 2021

illus. saino misaki

As of May 26

24 Likes

YESSSS Pika and Growlithe in the same card, it finally happened!

Nidoking fans are finally eating again

So excited to see the secrets roll out now

5 Likes

Definitely a lottery situation with which Pokémon, now that AR Omanyte (#138) is confirmed to be 180/165

One thing to note is that there are 79 PokĂ©mon to choose between Nidoking and Tangela, yet there are only 3 AR slots. On the other hand, the 7 AR slots before AR Pikachu are for the first 24 PokĂ©mon of the dex so there’s a possibility of Kanto starters taking up the first 6 (Bulbasaur, Ivysaur, Charmander, Charmeleon, Squirtle, Wartortle).

1 Like

The Omanyte reminds me of this card:

9 Likes

I think you’re onto something with the starters and their Stage 1 evolutions – Stage 2 evolutions could potentially all get a SR or SAR? Wishful thinking I’m sure

Pure speculation on the remaining AR’s:
Bulba
Ivysaur
Charmander
Charmeleon
Squirtle
Wartortle
Pidgeot
Meowth (Team Rocket cameo) @stagecoach
Abra
Chansey @qwachansey

I’m guessing the chases are going to be an SAR of one of the Big 3, an SAR waifu (presuming Erika at this point?), and maybe a legendary bird? I’m unsure how the rest of the set will map out though. You’re def the pro there and I appreciate the updates as usual!

1 Like
  • All ex cards will get an SR ex
  • Order of priority for SAR ex goes to:
  1. Mew ex (set mascot)
  2. Kanto starters ex
  3. the rest
    How many SAR ex total is currently unknown but I imagine it’s a few more than the 3 we normally get
  • #113 Chansey is right before #114 Tangela, so its only AR chance is 177/165
1 Like

Think of the Charizard fanboys - they won’t have a Charizard set card for the 1.5 months between this set and Ruler of the Black Flame. Clearly the solution is to allot at least seven of the SAR slots to Charizard.

2 Likes

I gotta throw-in here and say this set doesn’t seem boring tom me at all. I love that we’re getting entire evo chains by a single artist, there is some sick-ass gritty artwork like mewtwo, and it’s a major nostalgia trip, which honestly, if there are several flashy cards, I’d be worried it would detract.

2 Likes

Pointless to debate it though really isn’t it, because it’s subjective :man_shrugging:

As more of the set has released since my last opinion, I have warmed to it slightly more, but (so far) it’s just not popping out as the iconic set I would’ve hoped for. Oh well still holding out hope for the rest of the set reveal.

1 Like

They drew the Delphox concept card in Pokémon Illustration Magazine 2021

I remember seeing all 7 of those that they made, pretty clear that these are what eventually became the Art Rares! So its really cool to see the same artist get to do some more cards! I know they did the Comfy in VSTAR Universe as well.

EDIT: After looking into it more, the majority of the artists who contributed to those concept cards all premiered their first cards in VSTAR Universe.

1 Like

Genuine question but what would make it “pop” more to you? What do you look for in a set?

1 Like

Vaporeon was revealed a little while back. I didn’t see it on your chart

Corrected thanks

1 Like

OK I’ll answer, though I feel like I’m opening myself up to various subjective rebuttles, “but that’s not what makes a set great”, “why don’t you appreciate X instead of Y”, and the like, hence why I think it’s a pointless discussion. There’s a kind of negative tribalism that goes along with it.

I don’t have a fully-rounded image of the ideal set, but what I would have liked to have seen in a new ‘151’ is a reimagining of Base through to Fossil incorporating full art variants more closely resembling original art (e.g. full art Pikachu from Celebrations) that comprised the majority of the set, let artists really flourish this way, potentially some nintendo-era ex-variants thrown in there (I don’t like the styling of the new Ex’s they have included) though this would run the risk of diluting or muddying the theme of the set, so I could take or leave that. Alternatively continue with the 3-stage evolution as they have, but include the original star foil holo on the 3rd-stage evolution, and even give it to some of the 2nd and 3rd stage evolution cards that didn’t receive rare-status or holofoil treatment in the original sets, for example Base Arcanine and Jungle Exeggutor. Just a dump of ‘wants’ there, but it probably wouldn’t take long to come up with a more exact imagining of how I’d have liked the set to be.

4 Likes