Jan 3, 2021 - “Gen I: Legendary Birds”
Dec 31, 2020 - “Pokémon Art Academy Graded Collection”
Dec 23, 2020 - “Gen I: Mew & Mewtwo”
Dec 22, 2020 - “Gen I: Pikachu Favorites”
Dec 18, 2020 - “Gen I: Starters & Evolutions”
Nov 23, 2020 - “Collection Files & Binders”
Oct 29, 2020 - “Pokémon Art Academy Collection”

Hello everybody,

I enjoy admiring everyone’s collections here on E4. Figured it was time that I share something as well.

Update Oct 29, 2020 - Complete North American & European/Oceanian Pokémon Art Academy Collection:

47 Likes

Damn, what a way to start a collection thread. Love the Mew and the Kyogre!

2 Likes

Wow this is beautiful! Congrats on completing this set! :grin:

1 Like

Goals!! Congrats. Great collection!

1 Like

Geez! :face_with_spiral_eyes: Great first post for your collection thread! :grin: Are you the collector who owns 20 out of 22 Art Academy cards, only missing the Farmer and Emotions Pikachu cards?

And I’m very jealous of that third Kabuki Pikachu from Ashley! One of just two English cards I need in my Pikachu collection to have all English ones (the other being the new Futsal Pikachu that I don’t think have been given out yet). (I do have the other five AA Pikachu cards in your picture, though.)

Looking forward seeing what else you have to show us in this collection thread.

Greetz,
Quuador

3 Likes

Beautiful set! Congratulations on putting this together.

1 Like

Appreciate the kind words. Sadly, I am not that elusive collector. I would love to see all 22 cards together.

1 Like

Oh boy, very nice cards mate!

1 Like

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa I love this. (Specially Art Academy Mew)

1 Like

I am primarily a binder collector. Even when I was a kid I loved stowing away my cards in a file. Ordering the Pokémon together in groups brought me a lot of joy. And that holds true to this day. Most of my collection is held in the Arita Collection Files. Arita’s work is some of my favorite and these binders are no exception. Currently, I have sorted my card collection into Pokémon generations which correspond to the Pokémon generation illustrated on the binder.

The small snap binders were the ones that I remember collecting in when I was young. I owned the blue Charmander book. Early in my nostalgia hunt, I decided that I would store my cards in these little folders. So I began collecting them. However, the small binders quickly became untenable and I moved onto the Pikachu Ultra-Pro soft binders. While these binders served their purpose, I wanted something more sentimental. I settled on the Arita Collection Files. They had some rarity, fit my theme, and the artwork captured my youthful exuberance for the Pokémon universe.

Loved photographing these and I’m happy to share them with you. Enjoy!

Update Nov 23, 2020 - Collection Files & Binders:

15 Likes

I’m usually not a huge mewtwo fan, but that first binder is on point. Any idea if that mewtwo art appear on a card?

1 Like

@framptypants, To the best of my knowledge the early 2000s Japanese Pokémon Center artwork by Mitsuhiro Arita was exclusive to collection files and deck boxes. Would have loved to see some of these illustrations on trading cards.

@pulpyfan DUUUUUUUDE. Those binders. OH MAN.

1 Like

Those binders are sickkkkk!

Love that mew academy card too. You never see one pop up! Congrats!

1 Like

The Mew is definitely my favorite of this set. I have sent the four ungraded Art Academy cards off to PSA and I have to say it was a little unnerving having the Mew leave my possession.

2 Likes

I think I’d feel same haha. Defo a card I’d like to own.

Since the announcement of the Art Academy winners in 2015, I decided my goal would be to find Mew. I was enamored with the mystery behind this little Pocket Monster since I was a kid. I remember in the original GameBoy games, you had to go through an arcane set of steps just to obtain the 151st Pokémon. In Pokémon Silver & Gold you either had to trade with someone from the original game or use a Gameshark. Talk about a challenge! Thank you GameFAQs.

Pokémon: The First Movie brought the mythical Pokémon to the big screen and to the adoration of many youngsters across the globe, me included. The mythos of Mew was then amplified with the release of Pokémon: The Movie 2000. Ancient Mew’s popularity mixed with the the already legendary status of Generation I’s ultimate Pokémon helped add something magical to the series. The mystical appeal of all the legendary Pokémon is something that really drew me into the Pokémon universe. Whether it was the Legendary Bird Trio or Ho-oh and Lugia, Mew will always hold a special place in my heart.

Below I’ve posted a close up shot of the Art Academy Mew. While the illustration isn’t my favorite in the TCG, Celebi takes the cake on that one, it’s colorful palette and underwater depiction help it stand out as a beautiful piece of Pokémon history. The beneath-the-surface shot is very reminiscent of some of my most beloved illustrations. I’ve posted a few of them below.

8 Likes

Very cool collection. That Mew AA in a PSA 10 is my Holy Grail card. Hope to snag that one day. Good luck with the submissions.

1 Like

I’m insanely jealous of this one. Very nice :blush:

1 Like

Hope everyone is doing well. I know I’m ready for the holiday period. Below is my December 2020 update.

I decided to highlight some of my favorite pages in my binder collection. I’m beginning with the starter Pokémon just as many of us did when we were young.

The Gen I starters and their evolutions are the face of Pokémon, second only to Pikachu. The collection of cards you’ll see below is my ode to the original big three. I wanted these pages to have dashes of history, art and rarity all sprinkled together. Occasionally, I’ll move in different artworks but this 12-page collage is my current configuration.

Update Dec 18, 2020 - Gen I: Starters & Evolutions:

17 Likes