Psa grading small dent dot question

Hey first time grading and I know that dents get you an automatic psa 6. Was wondering on opinions if these small dot dents would also make it an automatic 6.

I’ve been scared to send cards with similar damage with the fear of getting a straight 6… I haven’t sent one to test it out (I probably should to find out the results) but you could always submit it with a minimum grade. For example if you put a min grade of 9 they won’t grade it if they think the grade is worse than a 9. You still have to pay the grading fee though.

Imo the damage on your Ray looks so small that I doubt it’s a straight 6 but you never know… Depends on the grader too I think.

Edit: Oh I almost forgot: I have a Japanese Arcanine ex with a muuch bigger dent on the bottom of the card but the rest of the card is very minty fresh, that one is a PSA 8. If that helps :blush:

I did some research on this, and I mainly used sports cards as reference, but any noticeable dent should immediately bump the card down to a 6 or below, by PSA grading standards. That’s after looking at sports cards forums and people complaining how an almost mint (aside from a tiny dent) brought such a low grade to their cards. This is YMMV though, you might be able to get away with it, but from reading on other threads it doesn’t look too good. Perhaps different standards are set for Pokemon?

Any dent or crease really is a straight 6. Would you really want a clearly dented/damaged card to be a 9 or 10?

I mean best case you have to know it isn’t a 10, so all you can really hope for is PSA misses it entirely and overgrades the card to a 9 or so. A card like this doesn’t do great for value at anything but a 10. I’d keep this as a binder card.

1 Like

For reference, I’ve used this thread to give me better insights on dents and tiny marks on card grading from the PSA:

www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1126463

Very small pin-sized impressions such as that can come from pack fresh cards depending on the set… I’ve noticed it a few times on brand new Skyridge cards. There’s a small chance that a grader will see it and dismiss it but the greater likelihood is that it will negatively impact the grade. Anywhere from .5 to 3 grades down from what I’ve seen. As mentioned it’s not worth the expense of the gamble and better enjoyed as a binder card​:relaxed::+1:

1 Like

I’m with jkanly; I would not gamble for this card, it’s simply better to keep it in a binder, and it’ll probably be easier to sell raw in the future too.

I know this thread has been inactive for years, but looking for opinions on what this damage would do to the grade of an otherwise flawless card.

@icollectr, www.elitefourum.com/t/the-giant-professional-grading-thread/30930/1

2 Likes