[Poll] Are you a software engineer/developer?

I’ve met fellow software engineers here, more than I expected honestly, and I wanted to see if that represents the majority or minority. Funny enough, I’ve even seen members on other forums related to my day-job :slight_smile:

Are you a software engineer/developer?
  • Yes, for work
  • Yes, but only as a hobby
  • No

0 voters

Do you write your own tools/scrapers to aid with collecting?
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

Which area of software engineering are you most comfortable with?
  • Scripting
  • Backend
  • Frontend

0 voters

And finally, an open ended question. There’s no option to allow people to add custom results to the poll, so you’ll have to reply instead. What is the most useful Pokemon tool or website that you’ve come across? If there are multiple, go ahead and list them all

For me the most useful websites I’ve come across are as follows:

I’ve written my own scripts for population tracking, scraping, cameo data, etc. but those tools are not public :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Nope, not a software engineer/developer. But I feel like everyone who I meet at cardshows is in the field or software-adjacent. :sunglasses: :computer:

4 Likes

Sometimes when my computer doesn’t do what I want it to do, I daydream of going at it with a baseball bat Office Space style.

I did take some computer programming courses in school, and they were some of my worst memories lol. I spent like 8 hours pulling an all nighter trying to figure out why the double pendulum I’d created in Matlab wouldn’t run. I missed two commas.

(┛ಠ_ಠ)┛彡┻━┻

3 Likes

Sounds about right :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I can change the windows cmd console to black background with green text

7 Likes

I do some creative coding as a hobby using JS. It is the only aspect of programming that has ever interested me and unfortunately the least lucrative lol. Although I think that is changing somewhat.

When I was a student it felt like the main thing for a bright future with lots of riches was if you knew how to use clunky and esoteric software like After Effects or Maya. Now I wish I had the foresight to realise that it’s the people building the clunky and esoteric software making the most money now!

2 Likes

Frontend developers can make a lot of dough. Even the least lucrative software engineer jobs pay more than most other jobs :chart_with_upwards_trend:

1 Like

yeah i work front end. i like it best because i also have a design background so it’s very visual. entry level jobs are also 6 figures if you land a job in silicon valley. i work for a very large tech company so benefits are excellent and there’s not much pressure since i’m just one minion among tens of thousands.

i also work remote so i travel a lot (i’m in brazil currently) and have tons of free time for hobbies. i work like 10 hours a week tbqh (i’m not the best employee lol). best career ever, wouldn’t change it for any other career.

4 Likes

I can program, but don’t consider myself a coder because I’m really slow and don’t like to do it. haha. I’m a type of systems engineer, however, so I’m often thinking about things in program process terms.

2 Likes

I’m not a software engineer/developer but I work as a cybersecurity engineer, so I know how to code and script in several languages.

3 Likes

I think there’s lots of people who understand the concepts very well and can even write some code, but aren’t engineers. For example: QA testers, designers, business analysts, product managers and so on.

2 Likes

I’m a FE Web Developer. Have met a lot of TCG Players who are CSE grads or going into the field. Gotta be something in the brain chemistry.

3 Likes

Think we’ve found the real reason for price inflation. Not those pesky influencers but those sweet tech dollars are to blame!

8 Likes

I work full-time from home as a developer for a backend financial/banking system. Mainly managing and developing the backend databases, but also did a lot of heavy development work with automated programming and other things. So lots of file I/O processing and heavy amounts of records and transactions.

I honestly don’t do a lot of ‘analytics’ on Pokemon. I probably should, but I find a lot of useful info here most of the time, so it’s not too hard to keep track of most things :grinning:

3 Likes

10 years of experience at least!

2 Likes

I have a comp sci degree I really need to put into use so I can afford more cardboard pictures of fictional animals (and a scanner to scan said pictures). Maybe I should write a tool for myself as a resume builder. :thinking:

2 Likes

Hashtag ThisForumLooking4Devs.com

1 Like

been a software developer full time for just over 3years now, the only tools I’ve made for Pokemon are not being used anymore. When I first started out in the hobby again I made a scraper for cardmarket & tcgplayer that would look for cards that were a certain percentage under market price. Quickly stopped using it as I became more serious about buying things because I had a feeling those websites wouldnt appreciate the scraping and I’d end up banned.

I was considering making a portfolio app mostly for personal use, essentially like a nicely styled database where I can add scans of cards in. Turns out this will be coming to TCGfish relatively soon so now I dont have to worry about it :smiley:

1 Like

I don’t really consider myself a software engineer, I enjoy doing personal projects but find it extremely uninspiring as a career. That being said, I have all the relevant skills and a BSc/MSc in compsci. I much prefer the data science and analytics side of things.

If I had a real software engineering job I don’t know if I could bring myself to also putting dev time into e4. The forum vs my actual job feels different enough that it affords more mental bandwidth

7 Likes