Pokemon sold out everywhere

I couldn’t have got back into the hobby at a worse time. I started interest back into Pokemon cards early this year then after everything started shutting down I have tried to grow my collection. It is very hard to find the newest set at the time at any of the Walmarts or Targets around me. The shelves are almost completely empty except for a couple of theme decks as others have stated. The sports cards are usually completely gone as well as most of the YuGiOh and MTG cards.

I want to think it’s about 50/50 of people getting back into collecting cards, as for a while there wasn’t much else to do and then the other half is just scalpers looking to sell it for double on the local Facebook Marketplace.

Hopefully it will level back out soon.

1 Like

Can someone define “stonking” for me and how that implies no genuine interest?

2 Likes

There’s not much leaving the Pokémon warehouses right now. I think Pokémon is going all in on the February set to prevent another Champions Path scenario (not enough ETBs, EBTs being crazy expensive within couple weeks after release).

All my distributors are sold out too, and in several countries (Europe) the Zacian & Zamazenta collections (gold/black card) have been delayed for end of January. More signs that Pokémon can’t keep up with demand.

I’m in the same boat. I started collecting after a friend told me he was buying base set cards to build some decks with. At first I didn’t think much of it, but then on a whim I decided to go buy some booster packs at a local game store, and that gave me the bug. It was only after the fact that I learned that now was not a good time for it.

1 Like

Also the thing that sucks, is I want to complete the set but with the couple of chase cards from the newer sets being expensive and can’t find any packs to open myself it’ll take a while.

I think that the majority of people clearing shelves at stores are people who are collectors or like opening packs. My local stores seemed to have mostly empty shelves in the Pokemon section, but there were dozens of boxes at the ends of the aisles that nobody had touched. Product can be found if you look hard enough.

P.s. The demand for Pokemon right now (excluding stonkers/scalpers) is probably still greater than the supply available.

Usually i notice every year the pokemon card aisle are bare between black friday and christmas.

Not sure how much extra the virus collectors are impacting this

Stonking is basically dumb people that only buys something because of past price movement. They see other people making money so they want to get into the action. Usually they don’t really know much about what they’re buying and only care about returns. For these people since they have no legitimate interest in what they’re buying, they’re also quick to sell if the investment doesn’t workout in a few months so it results in lots of panic selling type activity.

Don’t make the mistake of thinking these “stonk” type investors have any legitimate interest in the hobby because they absolutely do not.

Should have seen the insanity on PokemonCenter.com this morning. Poor little site couldn’t keep up with the pings for Hidden Fates ETBs. Sadly, I procured none :slightly_frowning_face:

This is a boogie man that is not even a relevant to why stores are sold out because they are merely an intermediary between the shelf and people who want to buy the product.

There’s a reason why I can buy trading cards and make profit online but cant do the same with children’s bicycles or a stuffed bear. Anyone who is skeptical of the ratio of of genuine interest to “stonking” just doesn’t understand how markets work. Scalpers are a symptom of excessive demand, they don’t create it.

5 Likes

Not a single reply in this thread is claiming that is pure stonking, in fact everyone is just stating is everything. Lots of organic demand, lots of scalpers, lots of pseudo investors, etc.

1 Like

My comment is directed at no one in particular. The point is that of course the demand is organic

1 Like

I don’t get a lot of what happens in pokemon price wise, for example to buy a box of darkness ablaze it cost £125 but charizard only cost around £80

My only theories to above comment is kids wants packs and kids and their parents don’t have a clue so buy what there

That box used to be like $150 some weeks ago but it is going down .

it’s $350 in a PSA 10 which makes people go crazy trying to get it cause thats about break even on one zard if you buy 3 boxes and you have the chance to get more plus all of the other ultras and secrets you get from the boxes.

Reading the genuine beliefs of the community, as to the status and health of Pokemon collecting at the end of 2020, is both enlightening and terrifying.

me smart rest forum dumb

1 Like

No me

December 2020: “Pokemon sold out everywhere”

What if in the next 6 months some combination of:
-TPCI ramps up production for supply to meet the current demand,
-vaccine becomes relatively available and some normalcy returns (not to get political or debate this one, just making a guess) and with that spending on old habits returns
-as these things happen scalpers panic a bit to dump all the Champions Path and Vivid Voltage that they hoarded

…Gets us to the point where someone will be posting:
August 2021: “buy 1 get 1 free Shining Fates and reprinted Evolutions Elite Trainer Boxes at GameStop! Tons of inventory left!” :wink:

1 Like