Pokemon Center Thread

That sounds painful

As someone who has started collecting miscellaneous Pokémon merchandise in the past 12 months, my opinion is that this is a lot of hype for an expensive modern product.

I shared a post on my Instagram page recently about the Pokémon 3rd Anniversary Memorial Pin Set which features Pikachu, Venusaur, Charizard and Blastoise pins and was limited to only 4,000 copies distributed with each being individually numbered - yet despite being 22 years old it’s something which is readily available sealed for much less money than this Master Ball costs (I paid ~$30 for mine).

Don’t get me wrong though, it looks really nice and I’m sure it’d be a great addition to any Pokémon display - but I hope nobody who bought these is expecting something like this to ever increase in value. They’ll no doubt be forgotten about completely in a few years time.

2 Likes

As far as I can tell it’s only this Master Ball which is exclusive to the Pokémon Center. The other ones will all be available from The Wand Company directly: www.thewandcompany.com/pokeball.

1 Like

As well as various retailers but correct.

I was lucky enough to get one on mobile. Thanks for the tip.

Making it essentially exclusive to the US is an absolute mind boggling decision.

Way to screw over the rest of the world. Why this is a limited release is beyond me.

4 Likes

*dabs in AMERICA*

2 Likes

yOu ArE nOt EnTiTeLeD tO oWn a MaStErBaLl.

3 Likes

Lol hell i bought the train and masterball already, so id buy that too haha :blush:

2 Likes

Not to worry, you can pick one up for 3-4 times the RRP on eBay like 70 people already have lol. The FOMO is really strong with this right now it seems.

1 Like

I don’t necessarily know if this is a fomo scalped item. limited to one per person purchase, and I know a lot of collectors who just bought it for themselves. Seems like a very nice 25th anniversary item to display.

120$ is not a lot for a really nice display piece when people pay 500$ for a big boobed anime figure

5 Likes

@fazool the eBay sold prices are up to $399 already, that was what my FOMO comment was referencing - people paying almost 4x for something which was still pre-orderable yesterday.

$399 can get you a lot of really cool unused Pokémon merch - people are just going a bit nutty right now for new product.

I got mine yesterday after seeing this post. Bought it on my phone as on my computer it said they were sold out, glad I did.
The problem is I probably want all the others that they might/will release, aaah the addicition!
I hope they become worthless and the scalpers get burned.

1 Like

It’s all relative. We pay 1000s for cardboard. I don’t see why the master ball is any worse. At least this is made of metal and there is some fancy electronics with proximity sensors. I bought it mainly to display.

3 Likes

I find it hilarious when people sell items that they just preordered and include an image of the preorder confirmation where they don’t crop/blackout the purchase price. I know it isn’t hard to find the original sale price but you could at least pretend you aren’t marking it up 400%

2 Likes

Those people selling shining fates at 3x msrp with a picture of their GameStop receipts in their cars

3 Likes

Didn’t even know this was being released lol, gutted I missed out on this one :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

Thanks for sharing this!:blush: I just got one for myself because of ya haha

1 Like

Out of the many people I’ve met in this hobby, maybe 1 or 2 are avid Pokemon pin collectors including myself. This one just doesn’t have that “Wow” factor for me.

1 Like

I totally get that, the box itself isn’t very exciting on this one. I do think there’s just a general rush for people to pick up new product right now though. Another example is on the Japanese Pokémon Center website they announced a new set of Poké Doll plush toys and one of them is Pikachu - that’s sold out in about 6 hours even though there are almost identical Poké Doll Pikachu plushes in good as new condition with tags in tact from before 2005 which are available for less than those on eBay.

I feel like anyone who has bought into these products as some way of making money (which I can only assume to be the majority based on how quickly they sold out) is going to be sorely disappointed.