Pokemon Art Academy Illustration Contest Thread

@darkrai where did you find those pictures as I haven’t seen any actual cards of the winners other than those in this thread and noodles’ pika design?

1 Like

Really? Why?

If you have 99 of something there is only 100 of, or all 100. You either control the market more or less completely, or completely.
12.5k USD for all those 100 copies is a pretty sound investment in the long term because people literally cannot obtain them elsewhere, and people will be going for full sets or as close to full sets as possible with these Academy cards.

3 Likes

Cornering the market…well played sir :stuck_out_tongue:

I think the person Gary contacted is not selling any of their copies at the moment. They were a younger contestant and I think were overwhelmed/intimidated by the amount of inquiries.

2 Likes

Are there only English/Japanese cards?

Can confirm that they were overwhelmed and withdrew. Trying to talk through trusted middle member to give them advice on selling.

I think their best option would be to sell it to a reputable seller. An unexperienced person would mishandle selling them. Gary is very patient and consistent in how he does things. He would get the most out of it OVER TIME. Most of these winners are going to less than what Gary would offer or just as much WITH having to put in more effort for individual sales with a mass clearance auction.

1 Like

So what you’re telling me is that some people might be willing to pay 125$+ for a tangrowth? I guess gary, you really know your collector’s needs. Something I cannot make a prediction on. But then again you might have somethi g good here. For the simple given fact of exact production quantity. With it being said 100 printed copies would disdapear in no time, but I wouldnt buy (not like it truly matters if i would or not).Good luck sir, im sure you know what your’e doing. (gaining 90 racks in an instant and all!) haha

1 Like

I mean if people were willing to pay $200+ for a Child drawn pikachu In a raincoat, I don’t see why they wouldn’t pay that for an very very well drawn Tangrowth, limited to 100 copies!

5 Likes

Similar cards have sold for very high amounts in the past.

Hey…if everybody understood it we’d all be out of business;)

3 Likes

I’m not making a judgment call. I’m simply confirming that the individual felt overwhelmed and withdrew.

As for the Tangrowth discussion: it’s very well worth $125 a copy.

@darkrai - I’ve already talked to all three Japanese winners. All three are in no interest to sell/trade at this time.
The one who did the Gourgeist was thinking it, then someone spooked them by wanting to buy a large portion of their set so they’ve decided to hold onto it. The one with the Goomy said they don’t want to trade/buy unless you are a friend. The Sableye just said no thanks.

3 Likes

To control the market completely. They may be worth $185 or whatever now, but in a decade from now they could be worth a lot more.

Delphox has surfaced!

https://scontent-ams2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xlp1/v/t1.0-9/11951100_10156114847210106_1359840493626916983_n.jpg?oh=7c14266c3e21c242f08a310c72eecebc&oe=56ABEBB3

3 Likes

Old financial saying

Present value is greater than future value.

“The notion that a dollar today is preferable to a dollar some time in the future is intuitive enough for most people to grasp without the use of models and mathematics.” - New York University Stern School of Business

That theory just isn’t applicable to collectables. It’s actually poor advice imo.

You can argue with my wife. She has the degree in finance.

I don’t need to argue with anyone.

If collectors weren’t getting returns from their investments, they wouldn’t be called investments.

Of course though, I’m happy to have this discussion with you in a decade.

Look at first edition base set booster boxes…

1 Like