NFTs (Crypto Collectibles) Discussion

What are your thoughts on NFTs?

Any fellow NFT collectors in here?

1 Like

What are your thoughts? :scream:

1 Like

The first MLB cards will launche april 20th, might be another important milestone in this mania.

on.wax.io/toppsmlb/

But the real craze will begin with Pokemon NFTs some day. :blush:

1 Like

No thank you, no interest in ā€œowningā€ a digital picture

12 Likes

Ask me in 5 years once the supply floodgates open where every artist, corporation, franchise, musician etc. collectively drop thousands of NFTs a week.

18 Likes

Zero interest from me. NFTs make a lot of sense as a public record of physical asset ownership (i.e. for things like land and vehicle registration plates) which can be transferred when that changes hands, but make no sense whatsoever as a collectible.

17 Likes

This will happen this year already.

I think there will be a bubble that will pop because of the oversupply but longterm some gems from the early NFT era will have a lot of value in the future.

PokƩmon NFTs would be/will be valuable in the future independent on the supply of other artists/franchises/corporations.

1 Like

Not keen on boiling the ocean to say I have the ownership rights to a string of characters representing a jpg

28 Likes

So you buy digital packs for the same price as a real pack to own a digital picture? Sign me up

At least they donā€™t require much in the way of storage? Otherwise - Iā€™ll probably throw some money at them soon, I just canā€™t see myself fully understanding why for any other reason besides hype/speculation.

The cardboard where your Charizard or Black Lotus is printed on is pretty much worthless as well.

1 Like

I was only partially joking. cs:go has already proven that a few pixels on your pc screen can be worth 1k-4k+. Just look at all the knifes or special souvenir skins in that game.

So it could be done very successfully. The difference is that collectors actually like to possess the items they own, look at them, feel them, smell them. Creepy. Yikes. Why do you smell them?

But in cs go owning items is more of a status symbol that you show off to your teammates. So thats why it works there. Owning digital cards ā€¦ you cant really show them off. And you dont physically own them. soā€¦ unless there is a way to show off your massive online collection to a lot of peopleā€¦

idk

3 Likes

Thougths:

pure speculation, bubble, not interested at all in owning a collectible that I canĀ“t physically hold in my hands, could have interesting applications in completely different areas

8 Likes

This is an overhyped critique. Cryptominers are using cheap energy (otherwise they are not competitive) for example excess energy from wind/solar farms or geothermal/hydroelectric power in Island.

If that makes you feel better about it, I guess you can believe that.

6 Likes

I think this is exactly why NFTs WILL be popular going forward: you have your collection with you on your smartphone all the time and can show it to your friends and colleagues. There are already apps that show your collection with its current valuation in real time. Itā€˜s the perfect way to flex your stuff to other people. (Not that I would ever do that of course.)

Iā€˜m obviously still trying to figure out myself if all this makes any sense, but one month into this hype I have to say, this is quite addictive.

NFTs, or the technology behind NFTs, is quite cool. Digital artists that create your favourite gifs and images can now sell the (specified) rights and ownership in a way that has never been possible before. It opens up a whole new set of possibilities for the current generation of artists whose primary medium is, in essence, based entirely on the internet. Whether or not itā€™s your personal cup of tea is down to preference, as is everything that is collectible.

Iā€™m actually looking forward to this ā€” democratising access to these technologies is always a good thing! Again Iā€™m talking about the technology opening up options for artists to actively monetise their work. I also donā€™t think this is so much about NFTs taking over the traditional collectible space, but rather how the technology can help augment and compliment the current space.

As to whether I own any collectibles, not yet! I donā€™t really care about the ā€œinvestabilityā€ or the current market climate ā€” purpose made digital collectibles donā€™t really interest me, nor does NBA Topshot and the like. Theyā€™re cool, but just not for me. However I do want to own a piece of work from some of my favourite digital artists at some point ā€” that makes me excited :blush:

I like the concept behind NFTs but as far as my understanding goes, I donā€™t really like the current situation surrounding them. Vast majority of the current hype around NFTs is financial. I donā€™t doubt that NFTs are collectible, I believe theyā€™re highly collectible, but very few people talk about NFTs as a collectible. Rather, most discussion is driven either towards their potential as a collectible that can increase in value or directly towards their value itself. Top shot is a prime example to me of an interesting idea but something where the majority of people who buy them donā€™t actually collect. Itā€™s a quick flip to them instead and that threatens their ability to be an actual collectible.

There are also issues with actual ownership of NFTs from my understanding. Thereā€™s a thread on Twitter that I read, basically summarizing that you donā€™t actually own the art or whatever you bought, you own a link to something hosted by the company you bought it from (I hope that made sense, Iā€™ll link the thread below as well). That to me is a problem because if the company goes under, that link is effectively dead and your NFT isnā€™t worth anything anymore. Iā€™m still a big believer in the future and ideas driving NFTs but as they are now, thereā€™s a lot of hype and financial motives that make me a skeptic of their collectability in their current form. That, plus the existing environmental issues are something Iā€™m not too comfortable with, though they too have solutions. I think digital collectibles have a ton of promise even if itā€™s not something that I would collect myself (tangible > intangible for me still).

Link to Twitter thread:

5 Likes

The future of nfts is the realization that physical collectibles with organic supply restrictions is a better place to put money

Also suspect that the truly important ones like the 69m beeple, which is a tremendous flex as the first ever major digital art sold in human history, will do well along with a small few other more important nfts

Right now nfts are like the dotcom bubble; everyone agreed that the internet will change the world and it did but the initial excitement killed a lot of investors

8 Likes

The NBA Top Shots NFT is a joke. Sorry, but it is.

They drop packs that have digital video clips of stars. You get a shared interest (1 of 50 or 1 of 200 or 1 of 2000 or 1 of 20,000, etc) in the digital video, referenced to a blockchain number.

But, the same resolution video is everywhere on the net. So if you donā€™t ā€œownā€ it you can still see it whenever you want to.

Which gets to what is ā€œownershipā€. Turns out it is nothing. You have no rights associated with your ownership. You canā€™t use it for anything. All you can do is brag about a formal ā€œnumberā€ associated with the clip on the Top Shots site.

It gets worse. If you want to sell it must go thru Top Shots and they get a cut for the transaction.

It gets even worse. If you do anything that reflects badly on the NBA or on Top Shots they can strip you of your certification number, and they donā€™t even have to compensate you for it.

Its no wonder Top Shots is primarily financial. Its not like cardboard crack, where at least there are only one or two cards of a player issued in a year. Top Shots could drop a Lebron James video clip every single day, at a manufacturing cost of approximately $0.

So NFTs are a cool new thing, mainly because they are new and crypto. Sell me an NFT where I have real rights that are more than glorified (revocable) bragging rights and I am interested. If I buy a Base 1st Edition Charizard at least I know what I own. I can play the card if I am reckless. I can show it off, in a slab or in a binder. I can brag about it. And in the end I can sell it wherever I want.

12 Likes