My father's decks from 2000

For some background, my parents got into pokemon tcg around 1999 when I was very little before moving onto Magic around when neo genesis was released. My mom gave me all her cards when I was a kid so I took apart her decks. My dad gave me this tin when I was in highschool, before I started collecting again as an adult. The cards where exactly like they are now, in the tin, in the same sleeves. Only thing I replaced were the worn out rubber bands. Thought this might be some nice nostalgia for anyone that played in the 90s/ early 2000s. Also I missed when pokemon made tins that were actually designed to store cards properly.

11 Likes

That’s so cool that your parents were into it at the time and gave you all of that! It was a wave of nostalgia. I remember seeing Brock’s Onix card in Japanese and we all thought it HAD to be a rare since none of my other friends had seen that card before. XD

Did they teach you how to play at all and are they into it still to any degree?

1 Like

It’s a shame onix never really got a wotc holo, he’s got some great artwork.

They didn’t teach me as I was about 2 at the time they were playing, but I do think it was the reason I was into pokemon since as long as I can remember. My dad tried teaching me mtg when I was older but it was a bit much for my kid brain to wrap around lol. My dad hasn’t been into it since he quit nearly 20 years ago, same as my mom, although my mom still has her birthday pikachu promo which I convinced her to not sell recently for nostalgic sakes.

2 Likes

Haha, that’s wicked awesome! If you’re not into MTG now, I definitely recommend it. Been playing for over 10 years and to this day it’s still my favorite card game (tried Pokemon and Yugioh prior). Wicked cool your mom still has the promo too. Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

I really like that tin, thats cool your parents had their own cards.

1 Like

Awesome. Have you played them yet?

1 Like

Yep, my girlfriend and I will each choose one of these decks at random and play a couple of games. I like the poliwhirl deck most followed by the rockets moltres one.

1 Like

Even playing pokemon competitively is a bit daunting for me right now so my girlfriend and I have just been playing more makeshift decks using only cards we pull from packs. Although my girlfriend really wants to get more into the playing aspect so we’ll eventually start trying to play at leagues. I’m far more passionate about collecting though so I probably wont get into mtg since it doesnt have much nostalgic value for me. Although I do still have my mtg deck my dad made for me years and years ago.

2 Likes