Most you’re willing to spend or spent on a card?

Ha, compared to 60k yes! Still very expensive

3 Likes

Boy math lmao

you’re so real for that

2 Likes

I’ve spent $10.5k on a single card, and $20k on a collection before, for me if I am spending 5 figures on a single card its something more long term and going to be part of a PC of some kind!

4 Likes

Most I have spent was $6500. It is a card at the time I really wanted. It doesn’t hit the same for me anymore. I don’t necessarily regret the purchase because I value it higher than what I paid for…market doesn’t agree with me yet. I’ll give you a hint on the card. Any guesses?
IMG_1638

6 Likes

E3 pika?

2 Likes

All the money

3 Likes

Ya red cheeks psa 10

2 Likes

My craziest purchase was Vaporeon PLAY Promo, I paid $300. I usually spend under $50 per card. I’m not financially ready to pay thousands of dollars on cards:D

4 Likes

I have spent 5 figures on a card but I like to stick to a “Hobby budget” of £100-£150 per month. I can however supplement that with anything I make selling or trading which allows me to stay sensible while also making “big” purchases

6 Likes

Agree with some of the points made by PFM and others, my limit depends entirely on the card and category.

• Modern threshold is low sub $10-20 per card. I assume prices will come down and I can always buy one later.

• Vintage collection goals are quite wide but in general it averages $10-30 per card. That said, I bought all the JP base set holos and stretched to $300 on a Charizard CGC 7.5 which was an outlier, to complete the set.

• On occasion, I’ll go for a higher priced item that I really love and enjoy, or has particular significance or low pop. Most recently I got a PSA 10 Gyrados Holon Phantoms unlimited for $500 which I think was very undervalued. Pop 18, for an 18 year old card is such a low number for a set card. The art isn’t bad either.

• Lastly, as I’ve mentioned a few times here and Patreon, my goal is to buy a high grade PSA Unikarp this year, which I hope to hold indefinitely, god willing.

10 Likes

Does this mean you spent all your money on a card or you would spend all your money on a card?

Depending on the answer. My follow up would be. How much you got? And what are you looking for? :joy:

1 Like

Can’t wait to see that Uni Carp in Recent Purchases! Then I’ll add the pic to the Cards I Covet thread. :smirk:

1 Like

Yes to both

5 Likes

I feel like I am very comfortable spending around $500 on a card and will occasionally “splurge” on a card that’s $1500-2000 if I REALLY want it. When it gets to the $3,000-6,000 range it’s something I need, that if I pass up the purchase, I probably will not have another opportunity to own it. Anything higher than that and I can easily just not think about spending the money on it.

Def agree that this largely just depends on people’s buying power and income. I am someone that’s on the poorer side and without a steady paycheck (I am technically freelance/starving artist)

4 Likes

Why does this card not hit for you any more?

This is a tough question to answer accurately as a “snapshot” in time for me. As my knowledge of cards and collection has grown, I have consolidated and simultaneously refocused my interest, and when I become more focused on a higher end card I tend to set a goal for that which results in a larger purchase than I have done previously. I started collecting by trying to spend no more than $50 a card, and now I’m contemplating cards far more pricy than that.

2 Likes

Personally the most I’ve spent is $3,800, I think 5k is my max. These are also WOTC Charizards, I didn’t have the foresight to grab them when they were cheaper after I stopped collecting in 2006.

2 Likes

I can’t really pinpoint an exact reason why. Maybe I’m bored with it now? I just feel like I could have bought a 9 and saved some money. Maybe I could have done a lot more with the capital? I could have bought a low graded Tropical Wind or Unikarp or maybe even both haha.

4 Likes

At this point i’d throw silly money at the Burning Shadows Cosmos holo Raichu graded mint. There’s one cgc 9 and one psa 10.

But i think my $1300 for the CGC base set 1st edition 9.5 that magically became a 10 will be the most I’ll spend.

4 Likes