Missing Package from Goldin/Collectors Vault with USPS: UPDATE - CARD STOLEN - REFUND ISSUED - CERT DEACTIVATED

I bought this beautiful PSA 9 Crystal Golem through Goldin Auctions on March 23. I decided to test out the Collectors Vault to see what it was all about. The parent company of the Collectors Vault owns PSA and Goldin, so I thought that it might be cool to see the features of the vault and compare it to PWCC (pictures, valuation estimate, shipping efficiency).

After about a week, I decided to ship my card on March 29. Collectors Vault used USPS Priority Mail with a signature confirmation. It should have shown up at my door in a few days without a problem.

Several days go by and I check the tracking updates. The card had left Philadelphia, PA on March 29 and showed up to Jacksonville, FL on March 30. OK, seems fine. But then radio silence for several days.

On April 3, I read the message, “In Transit to Next Facility.” I think, “OK… that sounds normal, even though they missed the delivery date.”

Several more days go past. Now it’s April 5 and I am getting worried. This is a ~$500 package and a card that means quite a lot to me beyond the financial value. I decide to reach out to USPS, and they give me some awful news: 1) the package is lost and cannot be found, 2) the wait time to initiate a mail search request has changed from 7 days to 15 days, and the worst part, 3) Collectors Vault did not insure the package beyond the conventional $100 that comes with Priority Mail w/ signature. Whoah.

I reach out to Goldin/Collectors Vault and notify them of the problem and provide them with the information that USPS has given me. They contact their shipping department and I wait to hear back.

I received a message this morning (April 7) from their customer support that the tracking had been updated, but I checked USPS and nothing had changed. Thankfully at 2:30 a.m. ET April 8, USPS updated the tracking: Moving Through Network - Wilmington, Delaware Distribution Center.

It appears that Collectors Vault was able to find the missing package and requested that it be returned to the vault address (in Delaware). I don’t know what comes next, but I have a few thoughts worth sharing:

1. Collectors Vault may be using a third party insurer, but it would be nice if that was disclosed to the buyer (similar to how PWCC provides that information). If they don’t, they are engaging in risky business.

2. Collectors Vault’s Customer Service was excellent. I’ve had the same positive experiences from PSA’s Customer Service too. Glad that Collectors (parent company) hires great customer service reps.

3. I have almost never had troubles with USPS. When I have, they resolved the problem efficiently. I am so thankful that Collectors Vault was able to work some magic when I was unable to get a positive response.

Sorry for the long post. I will update this periodically when I have more information and/or when the card finally arrives. :upside_down_face:

TL;DR: My Crystal Golem was momentarily lost by USPS. Collectors Vault stepped up and may be securing the package for redelivery. Fingers crossed!

14 Likes

Sorry that happened. Glad they were able to find it. Will they ship it to you or is it going straight to the vault? Also it’s a really nice card. May I ask what the sentimental value behind the card is?

1 Like

I had a couple cards lost during the pandemic at the border crossing. Thankfully they weren’t anything too special, but nonetheless they were lost. Hope it arrives safely, Skyridge holos are pretty special.

1 Like

These situations always seem to occur with the most expensive packages. What seems weird is usps website still shows you may submit a claim after 7 business days. How was collector’s vault able to submit a claim and/or return the package in < 15 days. Is it possible you received wrong info from that one usps employee?

Fingers crossed you eventually receive your golem!

1 Like

USPS likes to do this on occasion for dramatic suspense. You just have to believe in the heart of the cards.

15 Likes

Any institution that is able to successfully retrieve a lost package from USPS, UPS or Fedex may as well be the Justice League imo

6 Likes

The department of Justice League

1 Like

@Charizard1020 Not sure what will happen next. The package has not been updated since 2:30 a.m. EST, but I would imagine that it is being returned to the sender in Delaware for a redelivery attempt. Golem was one of my favorite Pokemon as a kid, and this is my favorite artwork of it. Reminds me of trading with the link cables.

@jabby Thanks for the kind words. I am sure that it will show up sooner or later. During the pandemic, I had a package lost for over a month and then it mystically showed up out of the blue.

@rtas I have no clue how they worked their magic. I had contacted USPS on two separate occasions because the first time they had closed the inquiry saying that it was “In Transit” (the April 3 update). I only got a full response from them when I called and asked for the inquiry to be reopened, and that is when they told me that the package was lost.

3 Likes

I love that story. I hope you get the card soon

1 Like

Awful news to report.

I received the package today and it was cut open. There was nothing inside.

The card was stolen.

I am heartbroken.

I contacted Goldin/Collectors with the information. Hoping to get the cert deactivated and a refund. If you see it on eBay or other websites, please let me know. May have to work with Goldin/Collectors to file a police report.

13 Likes

:rage:

Nightmare scenario, will keep an eye out.

1 Like

Thank you.

You never believe that these scenarios can happen to you until they do. :melting_face:

3 Likes

I’m curious, did the package say Goldin/Collector’s Vault on it anywhere? I always wondered this because I feel like if it says either of those things it’s basically a flashing green light that this package is valuable and that would greatly increase the risk of theft.

Edit: Also of course I’m sorry for your misfortune, that’s terrible. :frowning:

2 Likes

This is awful! So sorry to hear. I truly hope it can come back to you.

1 Like

No, the return label is “Doug Gallant” and an address in Delaware. Nowhere does it say what it is, but if you’ve ever received a package from PSA, you would know instantly.

1 Like

That sucks so much. Not even obvious packaging working against you.

Someone must have known the package type and return address. Or they just got really, really lucky with stealing a package.

Did you have to sign for it? Also who put the elastic band around an empty box lol. Soz to hear it all.

Yep, had to sign for it. The postal worker was really sorry and knew that it was empty. They suggested filing a claim, but there is no additional insurance on the package beyond the $100. So I will have to go through Collectors to get the refund.

Hope you get it all sorted asap. The mystery is who put the band on it’s either the person who stole it or someone who knew the box was empty and secured it and sent it on anyway.