Milhouse Collection - 6th March Update - PSA TCG Special Return

Will I actually keep this thread updated and not abandon it for 3 years? We’ll find out.
I’ll post latest collection additions and every now and then share things that are already in the collection. Other than that there isn’t much to say.

I have an instagram where I post cards from my collection as well.

www.instagram.com/milhouseil/

14 Likes

The first addition to the collection, which is what prompted me to make this thread for a 3rd time and give it a go is a pretty wild one.
In the Final Fantasy Opus TCG there are 3 cards which you’d consider as the current grail cards of collecting. The first and most obvious is the Wave 1 Cloud Legend Foil. There really needs to be no explanation for it’s popularity, it’s the ‘Charizard’ of FF TCG. The second grail is the Wave 1 Squall Rare Foil which depicts Squall inadvertently cutting his own throat with his gunblade, before drastic design changes were made for the second print.

The third grail of FF TCG is the most peculiar and the rarest of the three. Ludkins has a detailed article presenting this card and the eccentricities around out but the short version of it is that this A-002 Promo card was given out in a ‘grab bag’ type giveaway at the 3rd Anniv. Dissidia Event in Japan as a side promotion for the freshly emerging/repackaged FF Opus TCG. Not many copies were given out in the first place but as fate would have it it is confirmed that a significant portion of the attendees simply through the card away, as it was promotional and not useable in the game itself. The Ludkins article speculates there are probably between 75-200 of this card remaining (based off attendance numbers) and thus they are astronomically difficult to find, even more so in good condition because of the way they were distributed.

Well I found one. It has damage on the left hand side where it looks like it has been pressed against something else (potentially something else in the grab bag) which is a shame but when an opportunity like this comes up so rarely and for a very cheap price then it’s foolish not to go for it.

Moving on…
I have purchased my first ever Weiss Schwarz cards. I am a big fan of the Persona series of video games so if I ever purchase more WS cards it will purely be the cards from that franchises. I picked up 2 golden signature cards from the Persona 4 series, and there are a few more from Persona 3, 4, and 5 I’d like to collect along the way as well.

Golurk is one of my favourite Pokemon so when I saw the Alternative Art in the latest Japanese set, it absolutely had to be mine. The Cresselia Gold card is the best one they have done, alongside Frosmoth, the shiny form is amazing.

The insanely slow (will never be finished) PSA 9 Shadowless Holo set continues…

Circling back to Final Fantasy Opus TCG. They started doing Full Art versions of cards in the sets(not as promos) in Opus IX and they have really invigorated the collecting enthusiasm I have for this series of cards. Opus XI brought the thunder with a trio of Cloud, Tifa, and Sephiroth FAs and I was lucky enough to pull the Cloud, and Tifa FAs across 2 boxes (pull rate for any FA is 1/12 boxes with 2 FA per box).

14 Likes

Sweet thread @milhouse

Happy to see your collection grow!

2 Likes

Got my 2nd submission to CGC back recently. I sent away 65 cards in total, with multiple Base Set Shadowless Starters and 1st Evo’s. Did well considering how long I’ve had them in storage. I should be able to sell the others on quite easily. I also sent a bunch of English Delta holos that mostly got around 8.5s and 9s, with a few getting dropped into 7.5 range because of low surface grades.

14 Likes

Small update.

Opened all my normal set packs I got from the Celebrations product I opened. Got a couple good pulls.

Couple of tidbits from a recent JP MM package.

There is a Korean Pop Culture shop in the CBD of my city that I visit every now and then, they sometimes stock Korean cards and I bought a box of S7R on a whim because she had just gotten them in. Usually she just has the loose packs. Pulled an amazing Gold UR. Never had a Korean one before.

6 Likes

Great purchase came in today, it’s actually the most I’ve ever spent on a single card which was quite thrilling.
I’ve loved this card ever since I saw it but was never in a place to pick it up and during 2015-2018 it was always ‘Oh I’ll get it next time’ whenever I saw one available. It means I’ve had to spend a lot more than I would have then.

Hiroshima was one of my favourite places on Japan. I loved the atmosphere, peace park, surrounds, and even the streets as I walked around at 10pm looking for a laundromat that a night clerk at the hotel had scribbled out directions for. I can’t wait to go back there, but for now I’ll suffice for one of the best card artworks ever made on the most underrated type of cards (Ancient Traits) ever produced.

28 Likes

Reaaaally cool card, congrats!

1 Like

Beautiful card, congrats!

1 Like

28/1 - Update.

Got very excited when CGC announced the big list of new TCGs they would be grading. Especially Final Fantasy Opus and Dragonball Super. I had wanted to send a lot of these to PSA or BGS at some point. But at this point I am just happy to have them graded and in a slab. The returns are generally what I expected for the cards. A shame not to get over an 8.5 for the Goku SCR, but the set has printing issues. All things considered a pretty massive return. The Opus cards are the best quality cards out of the pack of any TCG I know. These are my first Gold Label 10s from CGC and they look fantastic. They labelled Wave 1 properly, as well!

19 Likes

Congrats on those Gold Label 10s!

I must say, CGC’s cases and labels look so much better than PSA’s plastic prisons.

3 Likes

I have a strong opinion about how poor the PSA label is for their current clientbase. The label size/layout is fine for decades old sports cards that have 3 pieces of information. For the modern Pokemon and other pop culture based trading card games they grade the lack of space on the label makes for some incredibly ugly and uninformative labelling. A label should be able to tell somebody exactly what the card is, not send the viewer on a treasure hunt to find out what their ugly massively abbreviated words mean.

4 Likes

The DBS & Final Fantasy cards look great in the CGC case i must say :heart_eyes: Congrats on the grades!

Which of the 6 Dragon Ball Super cards that you sent is your favourite? For me it’s the Signature Vegeta! That card looks incredible, Vegeta’s stance instantly takes me back to the many cool moments he had in the Tournament Of Power arc.

1 Like

That’s an awesome wave 1 cloud. Also glad CGC designates it appropriately

2 Likes

first time i see a cgc 10, so they really exist out there ^^
Never played Final Fantasy, but this 2 Cards look great!

1 Like

I love the signature Frieza from the sig cards, the Gogeta SCR pops so nicely in the right lighting. The gold really shimmers.

1 Like

Love the DBS, still need to get the Beerus and Frieza myself to finish my TOP. But that cloud FF card is beyond awesome.

1 Like

Exactly.

PSA’s labels look like something that belong on a bottle of pills from the pharmacy.

3 Likes

Love the nice mix of cards you have going on in your collection. Keep it up! Love that Gyarados card

1 Like

congratulations on the grades. They look fantastic

I’m glad they are labeling the FFtcg cards correctly. PSA was labeling nearly everything Wave 1 for a while. I have a PSA 10 wave 1 sephiroth and pulled a wave 2 one. I wanted to make sure it was distinguished so I had to leave them a note in the grading form. I have 100+ wave 2 foils at PSA for bulk and that would be a nightmare to re-encapsulate them all if PSA screws up the labeling system again. That’s one thing I really like about CGC. The label looks great (even the blue background) and it’s very clearly labeled.

I recall you had a BGS 10 cloud. Is this the same copy?

2 Likes

Good luck with your grades.

I never had a BGS Cloud. I think you are mixing me up with someone else.