Memories Old & New: Enigma's Collection Thread UPDATE 7/21

This day, 10 years ago, I received a copy of Pokemon Black and Pokemon White Version for my 10th birthday from my parents and grandparents. They were my first Pokemon games, even though I had been collecting the TCG since Diamond and Pearl a few years prior. Actually, 13 years ago was when I got money for my 7th birthday to buy my first Pokemon cards. I have very vivid memories of that day too.

Generation V receives a lot of criticism for omitting all previous-gen Pokemon from the main story, but that is what made it perfect for me. I had 3 years to learn about and develop connections with 493 Pokemon, but when I got Pokemon Black and White, I was going in blind. I knew nothing about the Unova region’s world, characters, or Pokemon - in fact, the only ones I could name were the starters and Zoroark, thanks to the cheesy TCG commercials they used to run on television. Knowing loads of Pokemon I had never seen were somewhere in the game made it incredible to slowly fill out the Pokedex. That feeling of discovery is something no other Pokemon game has given me. I developed bonds and memories with many Unova Pokemon, more than I ever had with any other region. I suppose the way I felt was very akin to how it felt for others to play Red and Blue for the first time. Pokemon White was my game of choice because I thought Zekrom was cooler than Reshiram. I logged 320 hours into Pokemon White as a kid, which was quite the feat considering even now, 100 hours in a game is a lot for me. The story, region, sprite work, Pokemon, and music really captivated me. Leaving Nuvema Town, meeting N, entering Driftveil for the first time, encountering one of the storm Djinns on Route 7, snaking through Victory Road, Team Plasma’s castle rising from the ground, the stunning end credits scene, motivating all the musicians on Village Bridge, awakening Kyurem, summoning Landorus at the abundant shrine, locating Volcarona under Relic Castle, stumbling upon the broken down P2 Laboratory, innocently walking into unexpected doom in Undella Town, solving the puzzles of the Abyssal Ruins…if you’ve played Black and White, you know exactly what I’m talking about.

Alongside the games, I also got a bunch of newly released Black and White Base Set packs and some promo boxes (the “World of Illusions” box and the “Victini Box”). My pulls weren’t amazing, but opening packs of BW Base and seeing cards of Pokemon I didn’t know existed was surreal. All other gifts took the sidelines to Pokemon that night. Its certainly something I will never experience again. When I think about that night, surrounded by my family, I can’t help but smile.

Today, on my 20th birthday, I decided to finally create my collection thread. I have been a member here on E4 for almost a year at this point, and was waiting for a meaningful way to start this thread that will mean much to me. I hope to make this thread a documentation of old memories with my childhood collection plus new memories as an adult collector, and hopefully resonate with others here on the forum.

So, here we are. I started my thread with a story about how Generation V brought me to the point of no return with Pokemon as a constant in my life (although I didn’t know it at the time). The first cards I show to you are two of my favorite cards in the TCG: Reshiram and Zekrom Full Arts from Black and White Base.

You’ve seen them a thousand times. The dragon of truth and the dragon of ideals, yin and yang, two parts of a greater whole. The first textured full art cards, arguably the foundations for the modern TCG. On my 10th birthday, I had no idea these existed. It wasn’t until I pulled that exact Zekrom a few weeks later using birthday money did I discover them. It was instantly my favorite card, my personal grail, the jewel of my 10 y/o crown. While I didn’t pull them on my birthday night surrounded by family, looking at these two cards and the games behind them floods me with memories of that night. These two cards are some of the most valuable to me.

If you made it this far, thank you. I look forward to sharing more cards and memories in the future.

20 Likes

Well that brought chills down my spine, very emotional and well written backstory :blush:

1 Like

This was a great way to start your collection thread, thank you for sharing that nice memory with us :blush:

Hope you have a great birthday enigma!

1 Like

Wonderful start and intro into your collection, @enigma. I missed the B&W era and thus don’t really know much of the mythology behind those two. However, I feel like your synopsis and personal attachment mirrors some of my own experiences and lets me know more about what make these two Dragons so interesting.

Look forward to your updates!

1 Like

Very meaningful start. It’ll be great to see more posts.

1 Like

***Update 7/21***

Today will be my first collection update since my initial post about three months ago. Yesterday I received my first-ever PSA submission back, though it is the third submission I’ve received from them. I submitted 25 Japanese cards at the very end of June 2020, the cards were received by PSA on July 7, 2020 and registered on August 31, 2020. None of these cards provide anything towards my collection goals, but I wanted to document this submission return as an important part of my collecting journey.

The cards:

All of these cards were part of binder collections - actually, 24 of these came from the same collection (with the Giovanni’s Gyarados coming from a separate binder). The majority of these cards came from a binder of 70-ish Japanese holos that I bought in May 2020. I remember talking with the seller, and I learnt that the binder had been sitting in the attic of someone’s home untouched for years. The seller’s friend was a landlord and his resident’s moved out, leaving behind a binder of English cards and a binder of Japanese cards. The landlord sold his friend the Japanese binder, and that friend put the binder on eBay, which I bought for about $460 later that day.

I now had a lot of Japanese cards from various collections and remember pulling out 39 of the best-looking copies. I then narrowed it down to 25, and combined all the Japanese cards I had into one binder. I thought, okay, I don’t think any of these cards will get 10s (I believed the Zapdos would be the highest, in a 9) so I’ll send out the 25 best and in a few months I’ll get the results. If the results are good, I’ll send in more. If the results are bad, I’ll sell the rest raw. So, what happened to all those other cards? Well, like your average Timmy I saw it was going to take much longer than anticipated for the grades to come back, and I got caught up in the hype of Champion’s Path…so I ended up selling them all for about $600 in August 2020 to roll money into the upcoming release. Yeah, I was that guy. I’m not proud of it, but I admit it. The good thing was, I actually used that money to buy a large amount of e-reader reverse holos instead.

Just look at the first page of the binder I sold:

Turns out I SEVERLY under-graded all the cards. It was my first submission and I had only ever held modern PSA 10 full arts. Since I pulled out what I thought was the best (and I thought the highest grade would be a 9), I thought the other cards would get higher than 7s if they were lucky and at the time (May 2020) Japanese cards weren’t worth much, so I tried to play it safe. I hoped for this submission to be worth at most $1500, but the final result is almost 5 times that. Safe to say, when PSA upcharged me I was pleasantly surprised. Honestly, while I wish I had submitted more (looking at you, Dark Charizard, Typhlosion and Flareon)…I don’t regret a thing. My sole intention for these cards was to submit them under the bulk special and make profit that I could roll into my collection. I’ll have achieved that once I start selling, and in the year-long wait since I sent them in I’ve learned a lot about the hobby, grading, collecting and investing.

In the time since I purchased the collection in May 2020 to now, my mindset towards collecting has changed significantly. And this is probably why I believe this submission will be important to my collection. Had the cards arrived back in September like I’d hoped, I would’ve only seen the money and sold off everything. Japanese cards don’t have a space in my collection, however beautiful they may look. Now though, I don’t see money, I see value in holding these 10s long term, especially since I’m fortunate enough where I don’t need the money right now anyway. I’ll be selling everything below 10, but those Gem Mint copies are going to stay in my collection until I need to sell. And they look so good, I might even buy some more here and there.

8 Likes