Have you pulled Base Set Charizard from a pack?

Yes! pulled 3 back in the days of £150 base set booster boxes and lots of spare time in Uni. Didn’t get to pull one in childhood. I don’t think there’s many (if any) better experiences in Pokémon than pulling a base set Charizard. Hype around modern chase cards doesn’t come close compared to the 1999 excitement and legend around base set Charizard.

4 Likes

I didn’t get to open too many packs when I was a kid, and unfortunately, didn’t pull anything very good from those packs :smiling_face_with_tear:

I only knew one or two people who even had a base set charizard at that time lol

2 Likes

Didn’t open much when Base set was around but I did pull two Base Set 2 Charizards. I remember the first time I pulled one I was in the backseat of my Grandparents car and I screamed out loud. Probably not the best thing to do while they were driving. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

I don’t have any memories of opening base set. I believe I only ever opened one jungle pack my mum had bought me, which from memory did not contain a holo. The first time I remember opening packs was an intentional fake booster box I purchased over here in 2020 for $5 in which I pulled many a Charizard. I wish I kept them now, but I felt nothing unfortunately as I knew they were fakes.

I am in the process of picking up some Japanese base packs however, and hopefully can pull one of the starters with my daughter and wife.

4 Likes

I think the only holos I pulled for myself from Base Set were Alakazam and 2x Clefairy. The latter of which was ‘traded’ to the class bully for some non-holo crap.

Yet, when I was attending the class bully’s birthday, and we got some packs for him, I couldn’t help myself and asked if I could open it before.

Out of 4 packs, 3 had holos. Mewtwo, Nidoking and Charizard.

Now, I could have simply lied and said none were hits, but unfortunately I’m too honest and I have a conscience. The only thing I did spitefully was replace a Machoke with a creased one I had.

There is no such thing as karma.

4 Likes

I never did and it haunts me to this day

4 Likes

We didn’t have a ton of money as a kid so booster packs were few and far between. I remember coming home from school and my mom surprised me and my brother with a pack of base set. I was absolutely floored when I saw the Charizard! My brothers pack had Blastoise which made me a bit jealous i remember. Times were tough but i always cherished that card

2 Likes

Does Base set 2 count? Pulled it when I opened a Base set 2 booster box back in 2000!

3 Likes

A few months ago I opened a japanese Base pack and pulled Charizard. Had a gnarly corner crease right out of the pack but somehow still graded a PSA 8 :sunglasses:

2 Likes

21 Likes

I opened 1 German Base pack upon finishing my PhD. Results.

18 Likes

Congrats on the phd and the charizard!

3 Likes

From Japanese Base Set, yes.

I don’t remember the specifics. All I know is that I definitely pulled the card and years later it accidentally got thrown out with all of my other cards. You know, the classic story.

1 Like

As a kid in the 90’s, yes! The only base Holo I didn’t manage to pull myself was Magneton. I traded a lot for that Magneton because I wanted to finish off my Base Set. The trade took place in little apartment right across the street from a movie theater. It was either late 1999 or early 2000 because Disney’s animated movie Tarzan was playing during that time. I still have the full set with me all these years later. Unlimited English. No 1st Editions in my little Belgian store at the time sadly! We started getting those Neo Genesis onward.

1 Like

For the life of me I was never able to pull Alakazam from base set. I remember saving up so I could buy it from a local card shop.

1 Like

My mother once bought my brother and I an entire booster box and would give packs to us from it instead of the more expensive buying one pack at a time from the LCS. And that’s how I finally managed to pull it. It’s not in the greatest shape because I would use it sleeveless as a reference to draw Charizard a ton but definitely a core memory for me pulling it, drawing from it, and now getting it signed!

11 Likes

This is so nice! :heart:

4 Likes

That is an awesome story. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like