Harry Potter TCG

Does anyone collect these? They were made by WOTC, and Harry Potter is one of the biggest franchises of all time. Prices for sealed boxes are incredibly low relative to Pokemon. What are your thoughts?

4 Likes

Process are low because there is minkmal demand (google supple demand theory).

They just aren’t as nostalgic as pokemon either and we’re never collected to the same level.

I did buy these as a kid and they were cool but never as cool as my pokemon cards.

My feeling is there are plenty of unsold boxes laying around, i tend to find stock on random european websites or ebay listings with item locations i’ve never heard of.

3 Likes

I mean there are cards for a lot of franchises. The difference is that trading cards are ubiquitous with Pokemon while for most other franchises they are third-party, money-grab-attempting afterthoughts. When I think Harry Potter, I think the books and the movies. I might think some peripheral items like toy wands or maybe even LEGO sets, but never cards. When I think Pokemon, number one is games and number two is cards. 99% that have Pokemon in their childhood had cards.

10 Likes

Well said. The reason I ask is because I know of several people who were unaware the cards ever existed. Last I checked there is only been one card in the PSA pop report…maybe there’s some opportunity there. There is also another movie coming out soon.

1 Like

I never collected them but I’ve opened couple booster packs years ago when they were very cheap. Some of the cards had a very nice holo pattern on them, other than that I don’t really see value in them. There’s some kind of a playing mechanic for the cards but I have no idea how that works. If I remember correctly there are spells, potions and so on. I’ve been a Harry Potter fan and I’ve never seen anyone having any interest in these cards though… I don’t really see the opportunity here unfortunately

3 Likes

I’d love to get a box of each and open them for some fun as well.

3 Likes

Bought the Quidditch Cup booster box a couple of months ago, just for fun and am having it displayed in a shelf. Have been looking for the first booster box for a good price for a while now, but they are starting to get pretty hard to find at all.

After I’ve obtained that, I’ll probably only go for the Weasley theme decks. Have some problems with some of the artwork and therefor I’m not interested in buying all of them.

Posting a picture with all(?) the sealed products (except booster packs) just for reference:

19 Likes

i might have to look into this to open some might be alot of fun

1 Like

I tried to pull the Fluffy card when I was a kid. I read that it was incredibly good odds compared to a base set Charizard. I saved up $16 to go buy a handful of packs and had no luck. I was pretty turned off after this. My neighbor was the only other person into it at the time and he agree to teach me how to play the game. I found out he stacked his deck and he did so because the rules said it was legal. This completely turned me off from the game and I never looked back.

I remember ultimately being bummed I wasted money on HP when I could have bought Pokemon packs instead lol

2 Likes

Thanks for this Hoax, it’s nice to see the whole collection together. That base set box is elusive for sure.

1 Like

What is the value of the base set box?

1 Like

Highest I’ve seen one sell for is $150

1 Like

Does anyone have a base box available for $150?

2 Likes

I follow someone on Instagram who posts a lot from this set, breath of fresh air to see something different now and again.
Some of the artwork and concepts are really kooky though.

2 Likes

My wife has these.

2 Likes

What is the “Charizard” of the HP TCG?

2 Likes

Christmas/Halloween Feast cards from the Diagon Alley expansion

7 Likes

I always thought it was fluffy from the base set

1 Like

I’m not entirely sure, there isn’t much information. I do know the “Harry Potter” Foil card from the base set was one of the more rare cards as stated by Pojo.com

1 Like

This actually looks really nice! If most of the artwork is similar I’ll have to pick up some of these cards.

4 Likes