Grue's Quest for Cardboard

So, what I have to share isn’t exactly impressive by most measures, but I thought I would share what exists of my collection now and continue with updates whenever something neat finds its way into my hands. I have plans to complete a couple of the smaller sets (Southern Islands is the first I have my eyes on) so you’ll doubtless find updates on that in this space.

As for some background, I got into Pokemon as a kid at about the time that the Neo series was starting, so I have a few of the early Johto sets and late Kanto sets represented, and then a lot more stuff from the first half of the EX era when I really started picking up the things more often. I didn’t start “collecting” by any serious definition until the last month or so, so there are a few newer cards mixed in, as well as old cards which I’ve ordered online to fill out gaps and cards I lost over the years. (Incidentally, since I keep a couple of old cards in awful shape in here since I have nowhere else to put them, ready yourself for a trace of cringe factor. Forgive me. :nerd_face: )

Enjoy.

10 Likes

Never be ashamed of your collection and what you are able to collect, even if you think it pales in comparison to others around you. You actually have some pretty cool stuff.

Also welcome to E4.

5 Likes

Thanks, man. Rest assured that my self deprecation is at least 50% in jest. :wink:

Pretty nifty collection! Those ditto cards where he’s transformed are so wacky looking, but in a good way lol. Southern islands is definitely a nice looking set to go after, I hope you snag them at a good price!

I hope so too. I have a few in the mail already, but it’ll take some time to get the full set of 18. I already have 3/18 Onix and have since I was a kid, so at least I have a leg up of sorts.

1 Like

Hey! You have some really cool cards! Good luck completing Southern Islands! Really cool set to go after! TCG Player has some great prices on Southern Island if you wanna check them out (great in my mind!) Here’s a link if you want to check it out! shop.tcgplayer.com/pokemon/southern-islands (Most cards less than a booster pack!) Going after sellers with a ton of reviews and high percentages is probably your best bet!
Wishing you the best!

-Pokesoap

1 Like

Mail arrived today! I also dropped by a hobby shop and stocked up on sleeves and boxes, so I feel pretty satisfied with myself.

The Southern Islands reverses are gorgeous! Those holos at the top are all to replace lost/damaged cards. The Celebi in particular was the “one who got away”…

Also got a Sun & Moon blister pack and the Meloetta mythical box while I was out. The Sylveon was in one of the Generations packs inside which was nice. It would be nicer if that same Sylveon wasn’t already shipping to my location. :neutral_face: Doesn’t hurt to have extras I guess.

6 Likes

Man those southern island cards are so nostalgic. Very cool additions!

Nice additions:)

Got to pull my first Trainer full art from a Lycanroc GX box today. Shame the promo came right out of the box with some bad scratches on the back. I really wish they’d put them in some kind of protective sleeve inside the boxes so they wouldn’t come out with some sort of damage 90% of the time. :thinking: Oh well.

3 Likes

After much pain, patience, and heartache, I finally managed to pull my first hyper rare. :rage:

3 Likes

Got some wonderful oldies in the mail yesterday - I’ve coveted the Shining Magikarp & Gyarados pair for ages and ages. Life is good. To boot, the last card I needed for Southern Islands (Lickitung) arrived too. Nothing quite like a complete set!

7 Likes

I picked up a couple of cool pieces at Origins Game Fair in Columbus, OH today - Tapu Koko from the new pin box, a Politoed holo from one of the Guardians packs inside, Dark Raichu from Team Rocket (a long-time favorite set of mine), and, er, some sort of Digimon.

1 Like

I may have forgotten E4, but I didn’t forget Pokémon at least… I’ve collected less since the big C19 hit but I’ve made some recent additions.

Here’s the updated album.

6 Likes

Awesome! Love all the ex era cards you’ve picked up.

Thank you! The ex era stuff isn’t latter-day pickups, just stuff I had the presence of mind to hold onto when I was younger. I’m fortunate that most of them are still in fairly good shape after 17 years.