GottaKetchumAll's collection thread. A Humble Beginning

Finally starting my collection thread off with where it all got started. My base jungle and fossil sets. Just in simple 9 pocket pages nothing fancy, penny sleeved holos. All VG-NM (mostly ~EXC) the original cards I collected in my youth, traded for on the playground, and some came from directly from Santa himself. Since I have handled many better condition similar cards here even many in PSA 10, it is much more about the memories here than the cards themselves. I’ll never forget pack pulling that Blastoise, my best pack pull ever back in the day. Had to call my best friend on the land line to tell him about that one and he had just pulled a Charizard! One upped! Venusaur I worked out a trade with a classmate on the bus throughout the course of a week. Was a tough deal to get done but I was able to finally get him for a couple of my duplicate holos and a stack of junk c/u bulk. I remember how sad I was never to get a Charizard until that Christmas morning when I opened that shoebox full of mixed cards that came with a Charizard nestled atop (clearly in hindsight an eBay buy my mom made for me, likely had to create an account just for this as she wasn’t tech savvy). Each card has a story and I can still individually remember many of the trades and the pulls I made along the way to completing these.

This collection was completed in my youth during the time of the craze all except for a few holos which I completed back in 2007 my senior year of high school when I started buying/selling video games on eBay. I wish I did more than just buy the ones I needed, this could have really been when I got back into Pokemon but alas it took me all the way until 2014 for me to fully dive back in.

Base Unlimited Set

Jungle Unlimited Set

Fossil Unlimited Set

Sorry for the potato images here but these aren’t GEM anyways and don’t need hi res scans (hopefully these will suffice). They aren’t GEMS and don’t hold substantial value, but surely are my most prized pieces of my collection and won’t ever be for sale. Future posts will get into newer and higher $$ and res stuff but I wanted these to kick off my thread. I am working on a lot of different collections, and some are starting to become complete from various PSA cards to old obscure Pokemon merch all the way up to the new stuff I collect a little bit of everything and hope to document part of my journey here. I’ll probably look into imgur or something along those lines for image hosting depending on how bad these come out.

8 Likes

Complete Battling coin Pokedex. Was I the only one to actually enjoy playing this as a kid?

Had about 20 random ones from my youth and have bought hundreds over the past year. Finally completed a few Pokedex’s a few months back and already have sold a couple. This is one to show for completion, but I am working on a much better NM condition for myself that is about 10 away from completion as well. Will probably take a few more months at least as these don’t pop up often and sometimes when they do they are for far too much money.

4 Likes

Just snagging the 3rd post here as well for later edits as I would like to keep the first reserved for my key collection photos.

May as well drop something here now. Charmander and Pikachu motion activated dudes that used to “Defend” my room at night. If anyone opened the door these guys would wake me up! Early home defense system to guard the Pokemon collection from big sisters!

4 Likes

Leaving myself a reminder also to add in some of the oddities I have found in the 1000’s of XY pack openings I have done in the past 2 years. I have a 600ct box that is just about full by now of partially square cut cards, off centers, mis cuts, ink stains, blank code cards etc. Some interesting things I have never really seen anyone document here.

5 main types of errors I have encountered. Also have a few blank code cards that I forgot to photo. Haven’t decided what I will do with all these yet. But will definitely keep a few of the most interesting ones.

1. Ink Stains/Runs/Or low ink? Have 100+ of these mostly from generations packs and some from theme decks. Usually the entire pack/deck contents would all be the same issue.

Attachment Deleted
2. Off center. 100+ of these off center to various borders from various packs and decks.

Attachment Deleted
3. 2 square edges. All from theme decks. A few theme decks worth. Most have a fairly bad bent edge, but some are otherwise
Attachment Deleted
4. Crimps. From various packs. Have a bunch of these.

Attachment Deleted
5. Miscuts. Some very slight where you can just barely see the alignment dot. Some where you can see two separate cards like photos show. A handful of ultra rares but many commons and uncommons too.

Attachment Deleted

1 Like

Awesome man… Do you reckon you will grade those holos!!! They are not aloud to get destroyed sir! to many memoriz… i WISH I had my base- rocket stuff from a child, but I threw them in the middle of m,y birthday party for evrryone to grab at the party, and i wanted dem back a few days later at school.

I know one of the friends has a good majority of them including the charizard my sister pulled that i was buthurt about that she gave me, that scarred me till this day.

Keep it up Ketchum…

1 Like

I remember a childhood friend of mine having that Charmander one and I was so jealous about it! :grin: Brings back some memories from sleepovers

1 Like

Never! It is more about the story than the condition on these and I’m not worried if they decline slightly more due to the 3 ring binder. I actually have a few new binders on the way to try and see if I like better. Various Ultimate Guard, Ultra Pro, Dragonhide, Flexxfolios and whatever else my supplier sold. I just like to keep em in the binders so I can flip through every so often. Only other thing I may ever possibly do down the line is a big poster style frame display so they can all be seen at once, but I’m not sure on that. I know that is probably as pricey as grading.

1 Like