Franmotard's Collection

Hi all!
I have been thinking a long time that I wanted to do this thread, and now that I reached the 100 posts and the third medal i think it is the time for it.

I will show you my current collection, and will keep adding here my most recent aditions to it!

As a lot of people here I use to have a lot of cards as a kid, but the time pasts and with it most of my cards got lost while moving houses with my parents…

A couple years ago, and now that I am financially stable ( less than when I started collecting lol) decided to start collecting the cards that brings those nice memories from my childhood.

Ill start showing you my current living room:

As you can see, I have a very understanding and lovely girlfriend jus by allowing me having this decoration lol

I moved some of the frames to take the pictures as due to the reflecting the phone camera would take shitty pictures, they look much better in real life :blush:

First, I made the Japanese 1996 holo base set ( poor for no rarity ).
This is where all started for the pokemon tcg and love the japanese holo pattern

****1996 Japanese Basic Set
I am also doing the holo base set in spanish, I am from spain and these exact cards were the ones my parents use to buy me, after a very long time last week finally completed it, but now I need to crossgrade some of the cards to PSA and also grade the charizard that took me a veeeery longtime to find a good quality and good condition one (really think it can be an 8, a 7 at least)

****1999 Spanish 1st ed base Set
Then I wanted to collect the “classic” WOTC holo sets, and step by step have been putting together the Jungle, Fossil and rocket holo sets. All of them are PSA 8s 1st ed

****1999 English 1st ed Jungle Set

****1999 English 1st ed Fossil set

2000 English 1st ed Team Rocket Set

Apart from this complete sets, I also got some extra Nidoking, Nidoqueen and Poliwrath cards, as they are three of my favourite pokemons.

****Nidoking, Nidoqueen and Poliwrath

And for my latest aditions, I am currently getting the crystal cards. Personally I always loved this cards as the artwork in all of them is spectacular, have been purchasing them at an exc-NM quality trying to get the most of my money, cant afford to buy them mint at 2k/card.

Pokemon crystal cards
They will go for PSA grading in 2 weeks with the spanish base set cards, and alongside crystal lugia, crobat and kabutops that are on their way home :blush: Will be nice to have them all in consecutive certificates. Regarding crystal charizard… it will take me a very long time to save some money for that :slightly_frowning_face:

I hope you liked my collection! Not that big of a deal comparing to some huge collectors out there, but for me they are a big shot of nostalgia and are priceless :heart_eyes:

37 Likes

Some bonus content, I also got the spanish original games sealed and graded By Wata (to preserve their condition mostly)
****Gen 1

Gen 2

Working on Gen 3

Bonus Pokemon green VGDB special edition

The first gen ones are priceless for me as I burnt those cartridges as a kid, I love the fact that manage to get the 3 of them with the nintendo promo special price sticker the stores use to place on them (they would sell for 20$ and now their price is 100 times that probably lol)

Informative, the Pokemon silver is probably the most rare as it was sealed with the nintendo red strip, and here in Spain /Europe for the pal version they starting using it with the 3rd gen games, but for the very latest print runs the used the nintendo red strip and a veeeery few copies of 1st-2nd gen games can be found like this. This is the only one in spanish Ive seen, got very lucky to get it pretty cheap 2 years ago :blush:

16 Likes

These frames look very sleek! Great collection and fantastic job with the presentation!

1 Like

Forgot to share this that picked up recently on open bid on eBay!

Both are Heavy 21.06 Charizard and 20.95 Venusaur.
Really can’t decide what to do, I turn 30 on July 4th and really considering to give me the pleasure of opening both of them!
Haven’t open a vintage pack since I was 10, so might be a good way to celebrate, but not so sure… or could just keep them in my collection

6 Likes

If you’re hunting for the Charizard that could be an extra incentive!

1 Like

Beautiful collection and display!

I just have to warn that the bright Spanish sun is going to cause fading. I wouldn’t want to see anything happen to such a nice collection!

1 Like

Thank you! It really is something that worries me and Im trying to figure out first, if it really is something I should be really concern, and second how to minimize it . Even though I live in northern spain and there are few days of bright sunlight (4/10 days are cloudy or rainy)
Im any of you could give me some advice I would appreciate it.

The living room is North - West oriented so never throughout the day has direct sunlight. I dont know if the risk of sunfade deppends on direct sunlight only or indirect sunlight is also dangerous (if it still is, I assume is lower than direct)
During the day, as most of the time we are out for work, we have the blinds closed so there is no light in the room.

And, the few hours we are for lunch, I have curtains to filter the light

Still, I am a bit concern and I am trying to get feedback to understand how it works and if I should be more cautious.
What you think?

1 Like

I would start here:

www.elitefourum.com/t/uv-light-testing-8-month-conclusion-group-one/21895/1

Way more in depth than I could provide!

Could add UV protection to a frame like this: www.etsy.com/listing/1001275328/

I bought one and very impressed by it.

Last piece that was missing to complete the rocket collection arrived today!!
This set is one of my favorite ones, the art on these cards is 10/10

9 Likes

I love your display! And great cards, of course :blush:

1 Like

There’s something incredibly satisfying about seeing these full holo sets framed and displayed in a modern living space. Congrats on the collections!

2 Likes

love the way you have them all framed, sweet collection! i can relate to the worry of sun fading. it’s a cruel joke the universe plays on us; the cards look the best in sunlight, but must be displayed out of sunlight or it will destroy them :slightly_frowning_face:

3 Likes

Some content to add!
Recently have been buying some Pokémon VS cards as I want to make the holo set, so far got half of them

5 Likes

This is a really fantastic collection!

I agree with others that buying 99% UV-protected cases or films could help a lot in reducing sun damage.

If you have the funds, one option is to purchase cheaper versions of your cards to display and take damage over time, and keep your nicer or higher-grade cards in a sun-protected room that you can visit regularly. Balancing the desire to see our cards displayed with the risk of fading due to sun-exposure is tough. At the end of the day, what is a collection if you cannot see, touch, and interact with it?

1 Like

hi thank you! Yes i am working on getting 99% UV protection glasses for the frames, I think that would be enough apart from taking care of never getting direct sunlight

2 Likes

Awesome.

Karen’s Umbreon from the Japanese VS Set is one of my favorite Umbreon artworks. Can’t wait to see that card added to your others!

3 Likes

After coming back from grading, can say got almost the crystal set! Missing that zard, actively looking for a fairly priced one.
Love the consecutive certificates on them, am I a weirdo for caring about that?

8 Likes

Just received the surfing pikachus I was missing to complete the Spanish tidal wave trio :heart_eyes: soon will be sending them to PSA for grading, hoping for both 9s!

5 Likes

las month has been a super busy month in terms of collecting for me.
I’ve sold a big part of my collection to move onto some different goals. Sold all my 1st ed base set holo cards as I decided I wanted to focus on having it all 9s instead.
At the some time, I got offered a very fairly priced PSA 8 1st Charizard, already had my submitted PSA 6 but I couldn’t refuse the offer.
Also got a 1st Charizard 7.5 CGC “casually” on HA as I placed a jid thinking it was way too low to be possible to win and actually did win it.
And after that, I got suddenly 3 charizards 1st ed. , and cracked them out of their slabs to get them signed and sketched by Arita next month!

But, it wasn’t enough apparently. None of them would grade again as a 9 ( the PSA 8 has a chance, but it’s more like a solid BGS 8.5, lucky a 9)
And today I decided to make the biggest personal expense of money on a Pokémon card, and got myself this Charizard PSA 9!

Need to wait to get my hands on it yet, but already on its way!

Now I have to consider if I should crack it also and sign it by Arita, or let it inside the slab for the collection. It looks a good PSA 9 but not sure I want to get the risk for just having a PSA 9 signed, 2 PSA. 8s and a PSA 6-7 seems enough, but the possible PSA 9 signed and sketched sounds too temptating :smiling_face_with_tear:

3 Likes