FireBirder's Ampharos Collection!

Thank a lot! Its been a blast so far. Honestly I can’t really target a specific “next” Ampharos or target since most Ampharos come up so infrequently. I just am ready to buy and pounce on anything that pops up that I still need lol.

I was a bit gutted by the recent PWCC sale of the EX Dragon Ampharos that went for 500+.

Seems like quite a few ampharos PSA 10 are now 500+. Gonna be a long journey to get those and also get the lesser known “modern” ones that nobody grades. I am excited to see a new Ampharos for this generation someday.

2 Likes

I completely understand. Sometimes if a group of cards I want costs too much it deters me unless I really really want them. For example 1st edition Shinings are only 10 cards probably cost me around $2500-$3000 for all light played and near mint ones but I really wanted all first editions so I grabbed them. On the other hand Gold Stars cost around $3500-4k ungraded last time I checked but I have a lot less desire to own those except the Rayquaza and Zard which I really want but a lot of them I don’t like a ton. So i skipped Gold Stars I like ex’s better than gold stars for ex era. I know it’s odd but that’s just me. As far as your $500 Ampharos you need I’d say I’m sure ungraded is cheap I paid like $20 or less for my light played one. But I noticed you collect 9’s and 10’s. So maybe just bite the bullet anyways or lower grades or skip? Your call but I understand the dilemma it happens to me all the time on certain sets or cards but I also tell myself I can always go back later for things I skipped :slight_smile:

@mcorey777, yeah no doubt I decided to settle for slightly lower grades (PSA 9) for the Neo Rev Ampharos as the PSA 10 is likely 6000+. The other Ampharos (Expedition, Neo Destiny, Aquapolis, EX Dragon, etc) that are in the 500-1000 price range I can hopefully get someday but if they go too much higher I’ll be ok with a PSA 9 on those.

I have bought some raw examples hoping for grading but doubt they are 10s. Can’t upset though as I’ll just have a massive Ampharos binder at some point as well haha.

1 Like

While the EX Dragon Ampharos eluded me in the last PWCC auction, I did manage to pick up this Ampharos in those auctions so still happy for a new addition!

4 Likes

One of my favorite sets! Awesome

2 Likes

Picked up the Expedition Rev Holo pair. Honestly, kind of annoying since these are basically the exact same card. I’m happy to get the 10 for the #2 and I’m totally ok with 9 as a placeholder for now on the #34 since it is the same artwork on only like a pop 6 in PSA 10.

Progress!

2 Likes

The Ampharos from Team Rocket Returns has some damn good artwork. Nice collection!

Big bump to start 2021! I got a new scanner for Christmas and tried a new layout for my collection.

Really happy with what I managed to get in 2020 and unfortunately many lessons learned along the way with low pop cards. Now unfortunately several PSA 10 cards are likely out of my price range but PSA 9s will do for now and who knows, maybe sometime I can get the 10s.

Let me know what you think of the new format and update/additions. Am I missing any English variants?

Have the first upgrade of 2021 coming in Feb thanks to @pokemonargentina

4 Likes

Spectacular Ampharos collection that I am in awe of. My good lord that Aquapolis Ampharos is just pushing me further over the edge in adoration of the E series.

Keep up the amazing work!

1 Like

Incredible.

1 Like

The collection looks great and is in way better grades than mine. Still a little bitter that the TRR PSA9 I had purchased fell out of the package during shipping (seller didnt seal the envelope completely) right before prices all jumped, little chance of me finding it for $30 again.

You may be missing Marys request from unseen forces (Mary's Request (EX Unseen Forces 86) - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia) as it features an Ampharos in the art if that will count for your collection.

1 Like

I love how you presented your pictures. It’s so clean and precise and it catches my eye.

Also, I was nodding my head reading about having an Ampharos in Gameboy. He was definitely a frontliner in my party of 6. Very nostalgic collection

1 Like

Thanks!! Yes, the Aqua Amphy is the only e-series holo I own and I must admit, it really is incredible and tempting me to collect more of them!

1 Like

Sorry to hear about your PSA 9 copy! That really is unfortunate and especially when it was for such a great deal.

I am hoping to add Mary’s Request as well as “bonus” cards that feature Ampharos but they are hard to find. I have 1 at PSA now, might get a PSA 9. Additionally the lightning energy in Call of Legends and HGSS are sweet and feature Ampharos. Plus I do own a Lance’s Ampharos and still need Jasmine’s as those artwork are Japanese exclusives.

Awesome profile pic btw, love that art!

Thanks, it was a fun afternoon project to work on the pics and overlay. Ampharos was also on my team, an early electric type was awesome!

1 Like

I have sweet memories of ampharos since it was my first e-series holo (sadly my parents didn’t buy me any expedition packs) i opened myself as a kid, immediately fell in love with the card design and dem sparkles :blush: still have it shiny and minty in binder, luckily i was a kid who put cards straight in binders and didn’t run with a card in a pocket to nearest friend to show it!

1 Like

Awesome collection mate, Ampharos is one of my favourites as well. Just finished another playthrough of Soul Silver and can never not have Ampharos in my team haha.

3 Likes

Thanks mate! Ampharos is a must have on any Johto playthrough.

1 Like

Epic mail day and update!!

First, huge shout out to @pokemonargentina for this pop 12 beauty! A tough card to find and will be set back in my Ampharos collection for a long long time now. Sorry Prime collectors!

Then I also picked up this epic Ampharos EX PSA 9 from EX Dragon. Although it is a 9, it is still one of the most epic cards and is sooooo close to that fabled quad swirl! I’d give it a solid 3.5 swirls and it is definitely one of my new favs of the collection.

More to come next week thanks to a fellow member here, stay tuned! Cheers and happy collecting everyone!

10 Likes

Man, really jealous of your collection. I been in collecting the cards I can get a hold of, but none graded. Do you plan to include cards with Ampharos in the artwork?

1 Like