EFour elites

This is probably what most veteran collectors were referring to when they worry about newcommers

This is probably a better example of what OP was trying to address.

Both are pretty cringe worthy, especially the guy talking about Gary with that level of reverence. There are two sides to every coin, and it’s hard for folks to look at their own actions and see where they have messed up, before pointing the finger at others. I definitely agree with other opinions, they have stated that this forum is not really for beginners. It doesn’t mean it doesn’t have helpful information that can help level up their collecting knowledge, but coming here after having done a miniscule amount of research goes a long way.

11 Likes

So i guess since i dont have fancy badges aftert my name im considered a newbie???

Ive been back in the hobby since 2015 and been following all of the big channels and collectors daily since. I may not make a lot of posts on here but am very engaged with the market at all times and keep up with what all of the Larger collectors are doing and saying…

I get being a collector first i do! i got back in for just that reason buying regular LP Base jungle and fossil unlimited sets, then some packs then some grades cards and so on. But at this point its IDIOTIC to pretend this is not a major investment. I am not rich by any means but my collection is now worth in the 250k to 300k range at current market sales prices which is a majority of my net worth. It would be irresponsible to continue to treat this like a pure collectable at this point. That is the reason i ask and make financial posts on here.

Sorry i am not trying to be an A**hole i am just a little frustrated at everyone making INVESTMENT a bad word in this hobby just because of the new people that are trying to manipulate the market. I am not one of them but at the same time I have a huge intrest in the market as I do have a large amount of value now and want to make sure i am making smart decisions. Its no longer buying $30 booster packs, $500.00 vintage booster boxes, and $100.00 PSA 10s. Gotta accept what this has become!

Agreed here. I came off hot, and the problem is I piped up, which i should because this is the internet. I honestly dont post enough and bring enough to the table to do it. Just think there isnt enough respect in the world today.

Woah there. You just a complete 180. You were mad previously because your thread was removed, and reason that it was removed was explained to you. Selling, even posts that can BE PERCIEVED as attempts to sell, is not allowed. dems is the rules.

I don’t disagree with what you said in this last post and you are 100% correct. A lot of people’s collections are worth so much that it would be irresponsible to not treat it it differently, or at the very least protect it. I don’t see what this has to do with this thread. You seemed mad before about something and now you are venting about something completely not directly related to the title of this thread.

2 Likes

As a few month old newcomer that mostly lurks I can agree with the general sentiment in the original post. But I think it’s simply a natural part of being new somewhere. No one has ever taken a dump on any of my comments, but I also avoid market threads and stick to posting in opinion (art/collection) threads. Those are the ones I enjoy most and feel I can contribute most.

The new ‘help’ channel in discord has been a great addition to the community. When I couldn’t find something through searching, I was hesitant and felt bad deviating from the ‘general’ channel discussion with my egg question. Help channel is the perfect place for that—so props to whoever made it.

Not surprising, I am already sick of all the howmuchisthisworth questions in the channel after just a few weeks :laughing: I am now elite and want all those noobs out of here!

1 Like

No, it’s more the 38 posts. Nobody except for newbies care about badges :wink:

Nobody cares about you using the word “investment”. If that was a taboo topic than the entire market thread wouldn’t be allowed to exist. Talking about the market, prices, and investments are a lot of what this forum are built around. Excessive and easily answerable price check questions and market/investment discussions are not the same thing

Sorry i thought your post was calling me a newbie was it not? if not my bad lol

As i said i get on here and read the new topics every single morning. Just because i dont post does not mean im not super engaged… that was my only point. I am being judged because i dont go comment on all kinds of posts making it look like i am super engaged. Thats all i was saying…

Don’t sweat it. communication through social media and text can easily be misinterpreted. I’m sure 90% of the collectors here would get along great in person. I agree that it appears like respect is lacking, and personally I think it is. There are are always two worlds. The way you perceive the world and the objective viewpoint.

As to what you said in the charity post. You can’t force anyone to respect another person, it’s simply earned. Everyone has their own criteria for how they feel a person should be treated or has earned the right to be treated. I think a lot of us collectors here would not open a box that way, and it doesn’t mean Gary is infallible. I think pointing that out or disagreeing with that is okay. Gary is not the hobby and does not have the final say on what is or is not correct. He is also not above critique, nor is any of the other well-known, established or collectors with amazing collections.

2 Likes

I wasn’t calling you a newbie collector, just a newbie member when it comes to time on the forum and post count. The way you responded didn’t represent yourself or newbie collectors/forum members well. I used two examples in my post, yours and someone else’s, to represent two extremes of elitism on the forum and newbie’s lack of understanding of THIS forum. Wasn’t meant to be a negative reflection on you as a person or collector.

1 Like

This thread is hilarious

Honestly as someone still relatively new here, it seems like people take way too much stock in discord ranks that are essentially based on spamming? New egg dude was asking some questions earlier and just gets ignored for instance, and I’ve found it hard to participate, now it’s literally ‘zubat too new so don’t care what you have to say’ (This is a copy pasta. Plz no hurt me)

2 Likes

^ This.

OP, I definitely understand your general sentiment of not feeling welcome. When I first joined E4 I was also new to collecting, so there was a lot of threads/conversations I knew nothing about. As my collection grew, so did my time on the forums/discord and my knowledge of different topics/sets/cards. I feel like now I do have valuable input on some topics. But that doesn’t stop me from lurking about card threads that I know nothing about/have no knowledge on, because that is one way we can learn more.

Also, I try to create threads that any collector can contribute to! I definitely suggest checking out these kind of posts as you do not have to have been in the hobby for xx amount of years to give your opinion on your Favorite Pokémon to Eat, or your Top 5 Favorite Pokemon Cards!

Also recommend checking out these threads as well: Giant Art Thread , Favorite Pokemon

Welcome!

I’m probably just repeating what has already been said, but I have had nothing but positive experiences so far on the forum and on discord.

My first post on this forum was asking for help about how to start collecting again after being away from the hobby for a super long time. I got over three pages of responses from forum members offering help, ideas, suggestions as well as messages with more information.

Honestly, if it were not for that first interaction and experience, I probably wouldn’t have dropped thousands of dollars on Pokemon in the last few months and my wife would still love me. Just kidding she still loves me.

Honestly though, I do see and understand how people that have been actively participating on this forum for a long time can get annoyed with the amount of new threads that pop up asking if a purchase is a “good investment” or “worth it long-term” etc. Something I’ve learned over the last few months that’s really hit home is that if you collect what you like you are always happy and not stressing over the future value.

Like others have mentioned, just try and enjoy the forum for what it is and try not to get offended if you perceive someone talking down on you, and if they do, chirp them back. At the end of the day, we’re just a bunch of adults(mostly) talking about Pokemon cards on the internet.

2 Likes

Everyone: Sharing experiences as or with newcomers on the fourum

Me: You guys are using discord?

i’m not sure why some members feel entitled to the time and respect of other E4 members. most of the time i lurk and read because this is a great platform to glean information from other serious, much more experienced, collectors. that information alone is valuable enough to be a member here. i’d much rather read a Quuador post than some ebay price thread that is better suited for the google search bar. no one has to entertain you here, although most are incredibly kind and helpful.

9 Likes

To be fair I’d much rather read a Quuador post than do a lot of things

16 Likes

Some forums used to full on cyber haze new members. Cough cough heytrainer circa 2011.

1 Like

Mods-

If you like, you can take this down. It kind of went sideways- and I would like to add that since I posted the original message, several members have reached out to me directly to ask if there was anything they could help me with. That was very nice to see.

I learned a lot here.

1. I am not alone in the way I perceive this board
  2. the board owes me nothing. And many people like the forum the way it is-with a real “expert level” membership that doesn’t need to interactive with the levels below them;
  3. there is a level of worship for some of the members that really does divide this forum. Some find that warranted and the other half cringe at it.
  4. there are many helpful people here
  5. there are many smart people here
  6. there are several salty people here
  7. I think I am gonna hang around for a while and try to learn enough that you guys think I am adding something to the forum.

This thread got more of a response than I thought it would- so thanks for Chiming in everyone.
I will work on changing my profile pic :wink:

4 Likes