Do you trade? How often?

This thread is really making me wanna do an in person trade. If there’s ever an e4 meet up in las vegas, I’ll definitely go :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Trading is often impractical so you have to go out of your way to do it. It’s the same reason paper money replaced bartering

The primary issue for me is that I have to give something up to trade. Most of what I own, i have it because I want it so naturally I don’t want to give it up. I’m probably the worst person to trade with

5 Likes

In person :+1:

Close friends via the mail :+1:

I will do the occasional trade with someone I dont know on a personal level, but only if theyll ship to me first.

All being said I do trade deals less than 5 times a year in total.

2 Likes

This is the only time I’ll trade as well. Sometimes there are once in a lifetime trades :slight_smile:

1 Like

Going to my first Collect-a-Con’s this year (Dallas and Houston) and hope to do some trading then! The only trade I’ve done as an adult were a couple of graded cards for some VSTAR Universe boxes at my LCS.

1 Like

I trade everyone once in a while locally. My LCS hosts trade events avery couple months which are fun to attend. Generally I just give kids lopsided trades in their favor to expose them to Japanese cards or older cards they’ve never seen before. But sometimes do some genuine even trades! Never traded not in person though.

1 Like

Ya sometimes I trade booster boxes for alt arts or singles that I have multiple copies of. But ya I usually just try to aim for similar values. It’s pretty nice because you don’t have to use cash. Most of the time tho I usually have to just sell and buy instead because it’s somewhat hard to find good trades.

A few nice ones I did was a booster box case and change to help a member use his troll credit on alts I wanted one of which ended up being a extremely mint Giratina!

Another one was a Lost Origin Booster box for the Crown Zenith Gold Giratina. Also set up another one with him for 5 random cards I was after and $20 for a Fusion Strike

2 Likes

I’d like to try trading sometime. I still have to try to make it out to in-person events, but I have to get over the activation energy barrier that is driving to and from.

I’m also thinking of trying the subreddit for trading via mail. Does anyone have any experience using that subreddit? It seems like trades happen quite often there and both parties seem to try to make it even.

1 Like

I regularly trade money for shiny cardboard.
" " " time for money.
" " " life for living.
…Not sure if that’s dark, or empowering.

1 Like

I’ve only ever traded amongst family, but its been years since I’ve done it. I don’t like to see cards go, even if its just bulk. How can I amass Smaug/Hoopa V levels of cards if I get rid of them :flushed:

5 Likes

Actually traded today at my local card shop! Was able to help someone build their Evolving Skies set while I snagged some Aquapolis commons :slight_smile: Best part is building community with other interested folks. Worth taking the time to trade in my opinion!

10 Likes

Totally agree! This thread inspired me to go to league night at my lgs and there were 30+ people there playing and trading! I met a guy who has master sets of everything in EN and traded for these which was a fun experience :slight_smile:. As an aside - do you all have a favorite app or quick reference when out and about like this? I’ve been trying out Pokellector but interested in what others are using!

2 Likes

I would trade more if I had cards to trade, but I keep such a lean collection that I never have anything to offer. :frowning:

2 Likes

It’s just your CGC 10 meowth and that’s it right?

1 Like

Well, and my historic collection of extinct furs.

2 Likes

Ohhh very posh. Are they in your collection thread?

I’ve done a couple of trades on the subreddit (r/pkmntcgtrades). If you’re looking for modern hits or pre eseries WOTC, it’s pretty easy to get/find trades, but stuff like ex era-XY or common reverse holos you’re probably gonna have to trawl through threads yourself. There’s also a lot of people purely selling you have to filter through.

Most people tend to stick to fair trade values and as noted, there’s the issue of finding people who would trade their stuff for stuff you have, which is pretty tricky when you’re looking for older stuff and only have newer stuff like me. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Gotcha–thanks for the info! I think I’ll give it a whirl sometime, but I’ve been lazy organizing the stuff I’d want to trade (and that others might actually want).

It’s fun to look through the threads there every once in a while, but from what I remember, your comment on a lot of modern and a lot of selling (rather than trading) going on seems spot on.

1 Like

Are trades often discussed on the discord?

I usually message people on reddit, efour, or use my low-profile instagram account to talk to people. I’d love to trade cards but usually cash offers have the most movement for me.

Besides the cards, I enjoy chatting to collectors, even if the deal falls through!

2 Likes