Do Shadowless 1st Edition exist?

Hi!

I’ve recently seen pictures of shadowless cards with the 1st edition stamp on them.

But I thought that 1st edition base set cards were only made with the layout of the unlimited but with the stamp.

Do shadowless 1st edition cards exist, then? O.O

Thanks! ^^

1st edition base set and shadowless share all of the same features except the first edition stamp.

The only unlimited layout with a first edition stamp is the Machamp starter deck card, as all of these were produced with a 1st edition stamp.

basically you had it backwards.

Actually non-english base cards are shadowed 1st edition.
They also have galaxy holo instead of stars.

French, Dutch, german etc.

true, but I think it’s assumed the OP was referring to English cards specifically as there is no shadowless equivalent in other languages.

Yes, I was referring to English cards.

Then, let’s see if I got it right… :sweat:

-English cards:
-Or 1st edition (with the layout as unlimited)
-Or shadowless (without the stamp of 1st edition)
-Or unlimited

-Other languages cards:
-Or 1st edition (with the layout as unlimited)
-Or shadowless (with the 1st edition stamp)
-Or shadowless (withOUT the 1st edition stamp)
-Or unlimited

Is it like that or I got it wrong? Not-a-native speaker here, sorry :grin:

Oh no, no:

I’ve re-read your posts and I think that now I got it…

1st edition English are shadowless too!! Right? hahah

And I think that you said that Machamp is the only English one with the layout as unlimited with the 1st edition stamp.

And for other languages… they are shadowed 1st editions…

I think now I got it… Sorry for the trouble and thank you both for your help! :grin:

1 Like

You got it! :blush: Just a quick note about the machamp you can also get a shadowless 1St edition version as well as the shadowed 1St edition.

The good ol Charizard Authority Ebay post, was my education into this topic
www.ebay.com.au/gds/What-is-a-SHADOWLESS-Pokemon-Card-/10000000177666025/g.html

Let’s just set this straight and give some people some more inside info on what actually happened. This is more info then any casual collector is going to know and is a good reason to be a part of the forum.

Wizards of the coast starts production on Base set pokemon cards. They use the shadowless template and create a bunch of cards. Some of those cards are given a Thick 1st edition stamp. Some time goes by and they realize they miscaluculated the amount of Holo cards they needed stamped, so some shadowles holo sheet go back and get Thin 1st edition stamps applied. (We know some non holo cards got thin stamps applied to them, but I haven’t seen any factory rep explain why. Speculations have been made, but nothing confirmed).

The 1st edition cards are sold and sent out. Wizards still have a bunch of shadowless sheets which they cut up and sell as the intended ‘unlimited’ version. After this Wizards makes astetic and text correction to the templates and starts producting more cards. These new cards have shadows applied to them, and are sold off as unlimited cards. People notice the difference and start calling the old unlimited cards Shadowless.

There’s 6 more print runs done with these changes. The 8th and final print run includes the final corrections made (vulpix’s HP) as well as the copywrite date changed to 1999-2000. This print was done in a factory in the UK, and most of the packs have regular holo cards (2nd-7th print) put inside them.

6 Likes

Thanks! ^^ I really like learning about Pokemon TCG history :grin:

1 Like

www.youtube.com/watch?v=khe9c8N0zk4

Scott made a video about this yesterday xD

^

Has to be one of the sexiest thumbnails I’ve seen so far on youtube.

My Base Pikachu Artwork card variations article might be useful to look through. It of course also contains a lot of misprints, XY Evolutions cards, and foreign cards, but it should give you the examples and information which you are looking for.

There are all the variations available for the English Base Artwork cards:

• Shadowless 1st edition (Thick Stamp)

• Shadowless non-1st edition

• Regular/shadowed unlimited edition (©1999)

• Regular/shadowed unlimited edition 4th print ©1999-2000

• Shadowless 1st edition Grey Stamp

• Shadowless 1st edition Thin Stamp (very, very rare for non-Holos, but not too hard to find for holos)

• (Base Set 2)

• (XY Evolutions)

• (XY Evolutions Reverse Holo)

Pictures of each can be found in my article.

Greetz,
Quuador