Dissatisfied with collection

@fireftw87 : Thanks for the encouragement!

To be honest, my reply to this thread was more of an open letter to newer collectors and collectors who share a value mindset similarly to me before. Perhaps they do not think as black and white as me, but I know for a fact there are collectors old and especially new who either goes for solely deals or is dead set on cards with specific prices, in denial of new market prices for those cards. These posts pop up a lot in which either the member asks if getting _____ card at X$ price was a good deal, or they would typically use historic prices to point to the value of a card that they want, when the market has already shifted.

My post is to not just vent my frustrations, but to also show how you would most likely feel if you go for a value oriented strategy; you will miss out on cards you wanted and was afraid you overpaid for, and sometimes you would get nothing in return for waiting. A great example of this happened to a fellow member (Festa), and you can see his frustrations right here.Things get especially worse for trophy cards because back two years ago, the prices were wildly fluctuating. Even 9 months ago, with Mysterious Pearl as an example, I’ve seen the card go from 100$ to 500$ on the market, all in the same month. You’re going to be pretty bummed out if you bought yours at 500$ and then see the same thing listed for 100$ on Yahoo Japan!

I share sympathy with all those collectors because I know ultimately they want to collect, and don’t care about the money* (Of course if the card value goes up that’s great, but that’s not the true purpose of collecting in this hobby!). However, depending where you are in life, sometimes budget is tight and you can only afford certain cards at certain prices. Sometimes I must go for a good deal simply because otherwise the card is out of the question.

However, if you can afford the card and you definitely want it in your collection, my point was that it’s probably better to buy it now than later :blush:

*Unless you’re using pokemon as solely investment purposes, and if that’s the case, you should go into something more liquid like stocks.

1 Like