Could no rarity cards just be misprints?

I have been looking at these cards and have noticed issues with the cards I’ve not seen mentioned here yet. Particularly the image printed over part of the evolution area, but at the same time I have seen this on some cards with rarity symbols. So it would seem that these were likely printed at the same time and then eventually the evolution area error was fixed as well? I have pictures below as example.

pokemoncfj.com/shop/product/raichu-no-rarity-1st-ed/
^ there is an example of a no rarity raichu without the evolution issue.

So this means one of two things:

1. The evolution box error was a consistent printing error that was corrected after a certain period of time. This would imply that no rarities may not actually be true first edition cards since you would not expect to see no rarities without the evolution box error and rarities with the evolution box error.

2. The evolution box error happened periodically and at random and therefore cannot be used as an indicator of when a card was printed. The evolution error cannot say anything about the timeline of the no rarities.

The “No. 025” that shizzlemetimbers points out below is something that requires a conscious correction and therefore should be an indicator of how early the card was printed. It looks like it’s consistent with the idea that the no rarities were indeed printed first. This implies the evolution box error is something that happens randomly in production and is not an error in the card design.

1 Like

Yes or there were 3 different print phases basically making 3 different collectible sets. I think this is very interesting as it would mean there were 3 print phases so the one with no rarity and the evolution error would likely be the true first editions IMO. The true first printing.

But like you said it could have just been an error. There’s also this version of print. So it would seem there were multiple errors in the first printings.

It’s a design error. Like NO HP Ninetales, Wrong Evolution Wartortle and side-way Fist Diglett.
It’s hard to imagine the rarity symbol is printed in a final print layer, since all black ink is printed at the same time.

That’s is cool how have I never noticed that evo box holo error before lol looks to be a production defect! No rarities have an estimated minimum release of 53 days (1996 gift set) so it seems there is ample time for production defects to occur.

Just to reiterate, no rarity are not simply misprints of Base Set that Raichu is a good example actually as you can see the pokedex error #25 instead of #26.

6 Likes

Misprints or errors. Either way the hype on these should die down soon;) It has been a boost for sellers but like with all niche trends, every penny earned comes out of somebody else’s pocket.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t consider this set an error or misprints altogether.More of a variant. I’ve never seen a Japanese Base Set card with the holo cut around the evolution box so that is also intentional. A misprint or error would mean that only a few made it out by mistake. I’m pretty sure Rarity symbols were added on later on, as to say no Rarity is to shadowless to what Rarity is to unlimited shadowed. Also @garyis2000 what hype?

Which one of the no raritans hurt you, Gary? :wink:

Five PSA graded no rarities have sold during the month of November so far (according to what I can see on eBay). The number of no rarity collectors probably hardly breaks the double digits. If the interest in these cards was any less, sellers would be paying buyers to take them.

1 Like

Can you be more specific about where the 53 days comes from? There’s a bit of a discussion happening on discord about this and I don’t want to spread misinformation due to my misinterpretion of your words.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but that first picture of the raichu where it seems like there is an “evolution error” where the holo is boldly covering up part of the evolution box isn’t real. It’s just the angle. And I know this because I own that card. Here’s a photo

6 Likes

I had this in the back of my mind, but didn’t say anything as I haven’t paid attention to the evo box on Japanese cards too much. Does anyone have a card with the evo box completely missing and not just a picture of it?

Forgive me if this is already well known, but seeing this sparked me have a look at some of my cards and I noticed a few things. All cards I mention are Japanese, and I’ve just eyeballed the cards I have at hand.

Base (+ no rarity), Jungle, Fossil - All seem to have this holo box overlap on the evolution box.

Team Rocket - The holo box area has been made smaller (height reduced by 2/3mm) so it doesn’t overlap with the evolution box. All holo cards (except Trainers/Energy) have evolution boxes.

Gym 1/2 - Holo cards with evolution boxes have same smaller holo box, those without evolution boxes have the larger holo box (eg. Rocket’s Scyther).

Neo 1/2/3/4 - All holo cards are small holo box with new circular shape evolution box (except maybe Shining Magikarp and Celebi, I don’t have them at hand).

53 days - 20th October 1996 (Base Set released) to 12th December 1996 (Gift Set released) = 53 days. This is the minimum date range of product released as we saw that gift set being opened with the NR deck. That is to say no rarity were still available at least from the release of the gift set on Dec 12th, it will be a very short window afterwards as there have been gift sets that were opened and contained rarity decks.

3 Likes

@pkmnflyingmaster Also I am talking about product being released not printed etc. for 53 days, we won’t know how long they printed the sheets for only how long and in which product NR can be found. You can assume that every deck released in this 53 day window will contain NR, it is highly unlikely Media Factory would release/print the corrected rarity cards alongside the NR.
That goes for the short packs and possibly long 291Y packs if they were released in the 53 day window, however it is not surprising we have not seen NR yet from packs as the window is very very small.

2 Likes

Nowhere before your comment did anyone say anything about NR value, market potential, demand, or collectability, at all. This thread has literally been about analyzing the print variations in order to pin down the history of how these first pokemon cards were printed. Because it’s interesting.

I just don’t understand why when anyone takes any interest in NR, especially out of pure interest of history that has nothing to do with the value or collectability, that you feel the need to talk it down like our interest is silly and just “hype”.

maybe you don’t care about the history, but some of us do.

4 Likes

Its human nature to seek to find stuff out.

Muhahaha noone will ever be able to take the history away from the no rarity. The americans can try, but they will fail.

Yeah garinson your suppose to be rooting for me i thought. Oh wait your an enemy american.

From now on. I consider all my friends enemies. Since all my friends are american. I can not trust them.

This has been a hate crime presentation of the no rarities cast from the americans. And IF YOU PERSECUTE My children. You persecute me. This is war.

The no rarities have nothing to do with hype. They were the first, and there the rarest set cards on the planet. Nothing will stop them, no matter how much you talk them down their history will always be a major part of this hobby. The people who pay large sums for the no rarities got something worthwhile, there usually people who are after the most vintage and rarest/historic cards. There usually people who collect trophy cards. Its extremely small market, and they want the best of the best. Usually when someone buys psa 10 no rarities, there very serious collectors.
The hype is more on the side of english cards, as alot of people can actually obtain them, and they generate a much much greater audience. THATS what capitalism is about, its about taking advantage of that hype which takes hardwork and dedication depending on how successful you are, and pokemon is the perfect example of this as the hype never ends. and so we will all foreverb steal each others money for rare cardboard. Lets not try and make this into something it isnt, no rarities are not about the money. There about collecting and history, but its that historic aspect and scarcity that makes them epic compared to the english.

But if you want to talk about the money. They have only got more expensive ungraded and graded as time goes on.

The no rarities dont generate much hype to the masses and they appeal to a more Rare collector, which doesnt bring as much customers which takes more time, and there for its not the best investment in your eyes i guess.

Knowing the history is of interest to some and that’s a good thing. Any interest beyond that is hype. I see these as a fad variant of the cheap, low interest Japanese set.

I speak up because I want people to hear both sides. I mean, I remember the hype behind too many things (like Japanese Bday Pikachus, Japanese Lucky Stadiums et all, where people took a serious bath). I was part of the Bday Pika hype where people got hurt big time. I spoke up against the Japanese Lucky Stadiums after I sold a set for 1900.00 then realized what a ripoff they were. There’s many examples I could share.
So anyway, I won’t stop;)

Those were mass produced pieces of shit promo… They cant be compared to the first printed cards with such scarsity we will be dead before reaches pop 20.
Well maybe a little harsh on the pieces of shit xD but anything that is printed into oblivion I dont really like, Ill still get it if the artwork is amazing though for my collection, but I wont feel like Ive achieved anything great, and I wont feel like im holding anything that is of great elusiveness. Ide much rather be looking for a BLUE back holo charizard topsun then a friggen cd promo charizard… DO you see what im saying here garinson… YOU cannot compare those 2.

Its basically like comparing unlimited english base to 1st ed shadowless base.

Comparing the no rarity to a fad is a low ball also. There would be no 1st ed base in america in english if it wasnt for that print run. Multiple people have told you this, yet you still say the same thing. WHich leads me to believe its just a bias because of a failed investment expectation towards the audience in america. But Not all sets are the same garinson. Sure i would be but hurt as well, but i wouldnt go out of my way to ignore facts… But Looking at what your saying with our knowledge we would see that failed investment from a mile away now. Same thing cant be said for no rarity, I can see how the scarsity works and Ive analyzed it for years now. There in a completly different legue.

The listings I see in japan are usually someone has 20 trillion mass produced japanese cards, and amoung them there is 1 or 2 friggen no rarity. What does that tell you? THat there as scarse as the 20 billion base set cards they list at the same time? or the promos your talking about that were printed into oblivion? Think again.

In the end though its about passion. F*** money when it comes to no rarities.
Ill buy 7 million decks, and open a charizard one day muhahaahah. I dont care if it cost me 20 trillion dollans.

Its this scarsity that makes it so much more worth it. There is a load of people who have pulled 1st ed shadowless and shadowless charizards. But there aint noone who has pulled no rarity charizard realising it ect.

So come at me you smelly americans and take advantage of my passion if you ever find any. See if i care. xD ill be waiting.

Just bring me some no raritan decks :nerd_face: … problem is there all in japan.

I said I would grade my no raritan pristine… and it is going to happen. I said ide grade psa 10s, and that is happening. Im said that me and my no rarity children will destroy both you american nay sayers garinson and smpratticoinz and Take over the poke universe and Syndicate will suffice.

All the americans will fall. And I will be taking all the monies from your wallets. Because I care, and need to leverage your passion for my selfish desires of buying all of garinsons and smpratticoinz Listings plus all of pkonnos trophies.

Of course I have grown to respect you capitalist pigs, and learnt tingz, but you hurt my feelings with the no rarities, and I will have to not let it stand by whilst you attack my beautiful children and criple them when I have taught them so much powerful stengths and wizdom to, so they can one day be in a museum and fly away my pittiz. Prepare to upgrade your tinfoil hats to suits!
You may not have passion for them garinson, or purchased any in todays age because you cannot get mass amounts of sealed, but that is the beauty of them… Its the competition during this time years later that matters most.

if more sealed leaked it would be good, and you would see the wonders of circulation would do for this set.

Your opinion is valid to the extent that you are speaking of American interest in NR cards, and you definitely should keep voicing it. However, I can also attest to the fact that in Japan, the birthplace of Pokemon, interest in these cards continues to grow by leaps and bounds.

5 Likes