Collecting Woes

I’ve always prided myself on being really savvy when it comes to Mew cards. Always considered myself pretty on top of things. And while at first I was really excited upon discovering a new card through the cracks (the Gotta! promo), now its really dawning on me that I’ll probably never own this card. Same goes for the Art Academy card.

I’m not really looking for pity or anything. I’m just feeling really sad and dissapointed in myself. I know plenty of you out there have probably felt like this with other really hard to find cards, like the majority of the trophy cards, or cards they only made one of.

I just feel like in this case, it’s making me feel sadder because this card, in the past, has sold for really cheap apparently.

And now I’m probably going to have to shell out a lot of money for it because either no one has it for sale or the ones that do want a mint for it.

So yeah. Don’t mind me. I’m just feeling a bit sad and hoping against hope that these two missing cards somehow show up one day…

3 Likes

Nobody from here has them do they? not even pokemontrader or that espeon1993 girl?
Like The art academy mew hasnt been sold to anyone yet has it :sob:

The art academy mew is my favourite out of the engrish ones.

Nope. The winner p much only exists on Miiverse and no one has found them anywhere else.

I’ve looked too. No luck.

(and the one time I tried to talk to them MIIVERSE DELETED MY POST v_v; )

It will pop up on the bay one day Im sure of the tingz.

The other card your talking about, im not sure i heard of it. Can you post a picture and japanese name or whatever?

-Sighs- I hope you’re right.

As for the other one, here: www.elitefourum.com/t/wtb-skinss-sealed-wants-list/14653/1

Just try not to remain fixated on that one rare find that you may or may not ever be able to get. If it happens, it happens. If not, there are plenty of other good looking fish in the sea.

… Wait, what were we talking about again? :laughing:

1 Like

I do try that, tbh, with my other side collections, but it’s hard when you only have one primary collection, unlike, say, people who collect an entire set of an expansion or something.

I’m sure the feeling is similar but ughghghg…

Thank you though, I appreciate it :heart_eyes:

With collecting high end cards, patience is key, waiting for the right deal and accepting when it’s out of reach,

Pokemon card prices are fluctuating a lot currently and for me probably peaking because of a small pokemon game thats just been released,

Best of luck with your collection, do you have a collection post or like instagram I could check out? Always enjoy seeing other people variety in collections?

3 Likes

I think this is something everyone can relate to. There’s always a card that you want that’s virtually unobtainable. The way I try to make myself feel better is to tell myself that it’s supposed to be really really hard to get some things. That’s what makes it so fulfilling.

Of course, there are some things I want that I will possibly never own. But if that happens, it’s not the end of the world.

1 Like

Thank you very much :blush:

You can see my collection currently as it is here.

@skinst don’t let yourself be defeated by this, try to focus on another aspect of your collecting and wait it out, the gotta promo will surface for cheaper and I’m sure you will get it. As for the art academy card, if it never is sold or given out etc then your collection is still as complete as it can possibly be being as you never had an opportunity to obtain it!

As for my collecting woes… the amount of cards I have that are minty af but had the smallest little dent or impression on them :confused: almost every card I have bought ungraded for the past 3 months has had this sort of issue and it’s slowing my progress down a lot :slightly_frowning_face:

2 Likes

Not that it will help you of course, but at least you only need one Art Academy card… I need 12 of them for my Pikachu collection. :unamused: Currently I have one, which I’m very grateful for, and so far I’ve only been in contact with one other who’s minimum price is three times the max amount I’m willing to pay for a single card… fml :sob:
Also, just like your Mew Card, I’ve only seen 6 out of the 12 Pikachu cards surfaced so far. Where the other 6 are I have no idea… We’ll just need to hope they’ll surface one day and we have enough money at that very moment to buy them. :wink:

I knew when I started this collection I would never be able to finish it due to these kind of cards. I’m already suprised I came this far, since I’ve only been collecting for about 10 months now and I’m already at almost 600 unique Pikachu Cards.

Also, as @woolsluk said

If you miss the opportunity ok, but so far you haven’t even got the opportunity yet, since no one knows where the cards are.

As for my Collecting Woes, it’s also related to the Art Academy Cards… They were handed out to the winners and some were sold a few months before I started actively collecting. And now some are nowhere to be found (anymore), or they are 5x+ what they were sold for in the beginning… Off-topic: @justinator, how many have you paid for your Chef Art Academy Pikachu of Amelia / Meli?

Also, perhaps you should start a new mini collection that you are confident about you CAN complete. For example, I’m currently collecting all the Jumbo Pikachu cards as well, and have all 15 of them already incoming. Even though some were quite pricey, I think I took the perfect opportunity to buy them, since almost all of them were available on eBay when I started looking. :grin: And I’m now also almost complete with the non-Pikachu Jumbo cards featuring Pikachu in their artwork.

Greetz,
Quuador

1 Like

$250 plus shipping.

I am with you both, the Art Academy cards have to be some of the most frustrating to need since they are never around for a reasonable price anymore. A new woe I am coming across however, is my struggle to find a good way to display my cards. A binder is good for travel but I don’t care for pulling them out and rearranging all the time with re-releases and I’m a huge stickler for organization. Not really something that can be avoided though I guess.

1 Like

Hi,

How can you recognize a glossy from a non-glossy version ? I assume you can mod your scan or photo to look a non-glossy like a glossy.? Or is this a stupid question. Then I’m so sorry :blush: .
Attached a Mew scan version. Is this a glossy or non-glossy ?Please if you can explain your observation. Never to old to learn :blush:

It’s in the name, the cards have a sort of gloss applied to them, if you compare your mew to another card and it is glossy then you will notice right away.

Understand. Can you recogize by this photo/scan as attached it’s glossy or not ?

I’m viewing on my phone rather than a computer screen and for someone who doesn’t need glasses I have pretty bad eyesight especially when looking at screens haha so sorry I personally can’t.

Edit I had a proper squint and I don’t think it is.

It isn’t

Glossy is only on Japanese cards

I am not sure as I’ve never seen but I was under the impression that the gotta glossy mew was a copy of this card but glossy.

bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Mew_(Wizards_Promo_47)