Celebrity endorsement on pokemon cards

You mean Rhonda’s video? I was pretty impressed with her knowledge;)

No cringe at the comment above regarding them as nobodies :joy:

Although I have no facts to back up my statement, I have the feeling you’re off by about 5 years and the actual target audience is between 15 and 25. That doesn’t sound like a lot of difference, but it’s huge for Pokémon-nostalgia since a lot of those people pretty much missed the boat when it comes to the 90s Pokémania and the WotC era of cards. I bet if they instead talked about Bionicles for instance, their audience would get really nostalgic about those.

With all due respect, I think you are overstating their influence a bit. International ‘old’ media hardly picks up on these celebrities and what they do/say. The only time a celebrity gets on the news over here in the Netherlands, is when they die or are wrapped up in a controversy/scandal. The general audience over here doesn’t seem to care about the whereabouts of the Kardashians and celebrities of that type. For instance, that Pepsi thing that happened with them? I couldn’t even tell you what it’s about because I would have to seek out the information myself. None of it gets published over here and frankly it doesn’t look like anybody over here cares about it. Remember that every country has their own celebrities who people love and hate. Sure, some cross over (especially movie stars and musicians, of course) but most of them have their main popularity in their own country. They certainly would have influence, but I don’t think it would set the world on fire. (get it? fire? Chariza…nevermind)

I didn’t notice more hype about World of Warcraft either when celebrities started to talk about it in interviews. Though I admit it’s fun to see people like Mila Kunis geeking out about things they truly love without somebody paying them to say it. I bet if you pay people to act nostalgic it comes across as disingenuous. Something the Pokémon community doesn’t need, right?

Bow down to the KING

2 Likes

Theyre far from short of investment options, a lot of which directly grow their own brand in a way pokemon cards never will. I could see some soundcloud rapper sporting a psa 10 card worth a few racks on a gold chain though.

On a money mission yuh
Base, first edition yuh

1 Like

Thanks for your perspective. Here in Australia there is always Celeb news.

1 Like

A quick look at Google Trends seems to underline that statement. “Kanye” seems to be big in North America, Australia and the southern half of Africa. Who knew? :slightly_smiling_face:

Same

This guy could have a big effect, he has a large loyal following. What do you guys think?

These two celebs are old time Poke fans

And the posers…l

16 Likes

I CANNOT Stand that Gary V dude !! Loves the sound of his own voice such a tool

“Spot the differences! Can you find all 10?”

I can only find one personally. The guy on the right has glasses on the top one, but not on the bottom one. Apart from that they seem equal. :slightly_smiling_face: :stuck_out_tongue:

Greetz,
Quuador

1 Like

Surprisingly 95% of my friends have no idea what has happened with Pokemon cards. I occasionally post on my personal snapchat/instagram and when the random few that do each time i post are shocked once I tell them about the market. I know very well that the majority of my friends played pokemon as a kid, but just haven’t been bit by a nostalgia bug yet. I recently was able to get a friend of mine to buy a base set box as an investment, because he hears me constantly talking about it and wanted to diversify his portfolio of assets.

There is still a good amount of opportunity for nostalgia to hit many people and investing opportunities for people.

6 Likes

@stibs I agree. I have a few friends who I feel like have seen the articles saying Bill is worth $600 or something similar over the past 10 years, did their own investigation at some point and now have disproven it in their minds and closed the book on all of it. When they see an article about a $40k charizard or the likes they assume also it is fake click bait.

I have quite a few engineer/IT friends from college who like to throw money at random things and were involved in Pokemon in their youth. The type to buy a bitcoin at $15k, put $10k into a penny stock kinda people. I think many more people than you’d realize could be swayed by a single video or status of a person they follow into a 4 or 5 figure purchase. I’ve gotten a couple people personally to look into it and make some small “nostalgiac investments” in the 3-4 figure range and I have almost 0 reach.

1 Like

Who is this Gary V guy? A bunch of people messaged me about talking to him.

1 Like

He is a ‘inspirational speaker’ gets people motivated. Wouldn’t waste your time speaking to him

I don’t personally find him to be a tool like others might. I think that his work ethic and mindset are impressive and he has improved a lot of people’s lives. Scott, he has a YouTube channel and all the social media platforms, more content then you’ll be able to digest. I think a relationship is worth pursuing if you have that reach.

Gary Vaynerchuk. He runs his own communications company. I don’t watch a ton of his videos but I do like listening to him, he’s a smart guy and absolutely grinds

Gary V spits the truth about life being hard though gotta give him that. Motivated myself a couple times to pick up where I left off