Brendantheclayboy's Collection - Slow collection complete Part 3/3 and all my team, and others 1/29/24

Today’s a day to end my graded species collection as a whole. I have enough (more slabs than I ever reckoned I would have), and I am more than content with how it is now. My Slow slab fam is complete now, and it looks excellent. But that isn’t all I am here to share today. This has been sitting waiting to be written for a while. I only just recently added a couple last slowpokes, really. I’ve felt this was complete for quite some time.

But first! We must warm up. A preface!

(Pardon the ugly wine stain on the wall… still needs to be painted over)

Before it was the trainers… now they have their companions! Ever since finally getting Misty’s Golduck (long story, this is not a PSA rant), I was done with this goal here which was in the works as long as I can remember. Almost as long as the only other goal I have left have with slabs. Which has been stuck at 12/16 for a while. One day. And as I always say, on to the shadow show!

My lineup is in the OP. As a gym leader, I specialize in cerebral types… generally this is water and psychic, but any good leader needs variety in the dual typing or serendipitously finding that their favorites happen to fit conceptually even if not the same base type as others. So let’s start with my dream team!

One of my favorite selections, especially since I get to pair it with kromatic’s wonderful gift from our 2nd art contest—which I am particularly excited to show again since I finally framed it—is none other than the greatest mono-type water pokemon, Golduck.

These five are all perfect. All reverses except their leader, all cosmic artwork. I don’t know if I could pick a favorite here. Art wise it must be Kusajima of course, but as an overall card I am so very fond of Himeno’s and Kizuki’s. And Sugi’s is of course one of my favorite stock art cards ever made. Golduck is so majestic and hypnotic. He is an excellent companion and combatant, and trainers rarely are ever able to best him considering his dynamic move pool and balance of stats. Kromaticlanturn’s incredible gift just pairs exquisitely with this lineup here!

Next up we have arguably the most powerful among my troupe, and quite the mystic plant indeed. Often times, even being one of my friends, he accidentally traps me in his aura, and I fall asleep in his shade in this hot Arizona sun. He doesn’t realize his own power, it’s colossal. Exeggutor.

This one of course is a bit easier. Himeno’s reverse is about the most shiny and magical piece of cardboard I might have ever laid my eyes on and along with Slow’s LC reverses, near-single handedly made me appreciate that set. The first time I ever saw it I had to have it. And no I didn’t see it as a kid. (I didn’t know every single card got the reverse treatment and I didn’t really give much attention to LC either). But I think this is about the best 4 exeggutors one could ask for, no doubt. I think this is one of Tanaka’s finer illustrations.

Moving along, we have my favorite cat. Meowth’s amazing, persian is even better. But he, of course, started as a Meowth, so I was friend’s with him as a kitten. Like Giovanni’s he never leaves his pokeball. Ever. In a constant state of purring and menace, he intimidates trainers before they even lock eyes with my in their approach up the entryway. He is proud, loyal, yet freethinking. And of course powerful… you do not want a slash from this cat. Another regal four to take in.

Giovanni’s Persian has always been my tied favorite gym card with golduck, the fondness I have for which is never waning. Dark Persian, along with a certain pory, was the most coveted WOTC promo as a kid, even more so than ancient mew, once I knew it existed, which actually came after. Meowth is obviously immediately followed. This era for Himeno isn’t the greatest, but this is a standout and the reverse does it even better. Then one of Kimura’s finest works you’ll find, with this awesome holo treatment, even with the cost of the set text you must bear to enjoy it. At least its sleekness matches that of the artwork so I don’t mind as much. I really considered getting Arita’s ridiculously dark and fine Persian, but alas the reverse looks pretty bad. How ya like 'em, Martin?

Without Porygon pokemon isn’t full. It doesn’t have that corner round the bend that provides an extra layer, an additional dimension. Because that’s where he comes from after all. He is the final fantasy to my repertoire. The most jazzy. His cry is synthetic, foreign. Electro funk. People know they’ve heard that deep cut of the concept album when they’ve encountered my Porygon. That Blue Sunday, San Jacinto, Watching you Without Me, Rockin’ Back Inside My Heart, Mass Production, Super Stupid.

Look at these demigods! Nothing can ever top Fan Pory! As far as I’m concerned, Porygon artwork frequents the pantheon of pokemon pinnacles in artistic and creative accomplishments.

Before finishing with my number one, we have one who is 2nd only to the slow. He is amazing, he is dark, carny, psychic, psychedelic, psychotic, but well-meaning. He is the clown in everyone. It’s too bad he gets such a bad rap, is so hated. He is misunderstood. Like I feel often. Like many of us feel in life. I think he is the best pokemon. Let his greatness be reflected by these monumental cards, his greatest.

Look at that array.

Sabrina’s Mime makes me smile. You can’t have Mime selects and not have illustrator Mime. And of course Baba’s masterpiece in reverse. All that’s left is something to tie the room together. Perhaps something conceptual? Ah yes. The greatest asset of the ex era, the Mime mirrors. Genius.

Now, the slows. What haven’t I said about slows that I could say now? Not much, I’ve already shared 2 parts! They are a complete, big family. Perhaps too big. Yes. Firstly, since this is part 3/3, I will start with the latest additions that constitute the completion.

At long last, light bro and southern king. Part of my original slow sub a while back. Pack fresh perfect copies rejected. I had to settle for the odd ball 1st ed because no one would think to slab him besides me and apparently 2 other collectors. This Southern king is actually considerably worse than my original—ok I said I wouldn’t go there. It still looks good. Recall!

This line has one that goes back to my original post on my buy thread. I’ve been chasing green '96 for years. It felt so satisfying. It’s funny I was offering so much then of course found a few for a couple bucks and got it the way I originally intended for all these on this page, but some others weren’t so lucky! I decided against dominos slowpoke, opting instead for reverse undaunted to accompany his partner. It’s more interesting to me.

This little, near-free pickup of sowsow slow was the last one. Figured why not, I’m out of my mind, losing my marbles! It’s beautiful anyway! Other than that just some other purdy beauts. Kanda’s being the best slow release in a… a decade? More? Likely!

And what on this line isn’t special? Dominos bro goes so far back. I’d say this one is the single hardest card in the entire collection to get. I searched for ages. I knew I’d never find a mint copy myself when I was grading. And of all people, I bought it from dizzle! He’s a bit spacey, I messaged him thanking him after leaving a note on ebay thanking him for making it available and it’s going to the best home it could have dreamt of and he just straight up never responded =D. Let’s have a guess as to why he had this card… :smirk: Anway, it’s Himeno’s best “modern” art! At least for me. Then of course I wound up grading all 3 trainer mags, slowpoke came back an 8, literally same mint condition as the others. Of course. Well the other 2 got 10’s. I’ll hang onto Slowbro cause hes the best, but I wound up seeing an auction before this searching ceased (boy does that feel good honestly), and nabbed it for cheap, sold my 10. Not only do I not like 10’s, but it’s just silly to not cash out in those instances. Only reason these weren’t in the last part was that slowpoke.

And that’s it! Family photo!

Seeing as this is the last time these are gonna all come out at once for a silly photo shoot, I had fun. Enjoy some bonus snaps.

bonus snaps

Hah! I’m out of my mind. That’s a lot of water bears. I’m glad to have wrapped this show!

26 Likes