Best Purchases Looking Back Thread

Happy to give you a decent ROI. Hows 35 percent on top sound to you? Lol.

1 Like

Commenting because I found the Illustrator sale that was driving me crazy. It was 627k yen in Aug 2012, about 8k USD at the time

4 Likes

The Rayquaza Gold Star from this set graded a PSA 10 and I later traded it (on e4 no less!) at a $6,400 valuation in 2017.

This is also one of my favorite purchases regardless of the profit because the other two gold stars I got signed by Fukuda.

12 Likes

@qwachansey is such a perfect example of time in market vs timing the market. I’ve seen so many of your purchases that now are insane deals, but they were just average purchases usually just in the hundreds at most. Literally an example of what we’d all do if we could go back in time :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

That’s really kind of you to say! :relaxed: but don’t worry, I’ve made plenty of mistakes :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Most of my collection as the majority was brought pre 2020!

The highlights though:

Pikachu Victory Ring in 2017 for $435 in Japan which graded a PSA 8. I found it in Mandarake and at the time I didn’t know that much about the card and was on the fence whether to buy it. Scott basically said it was a great deal so I brought it and the rest is history. You can still find that thread I made at the time here:

Unlimited base set Charizard which graded a PSA 10. Cost me about 50 pence, I brought a bulk lot of cards back in 2013 and it was in there.

1st edition base set Charizard PSA 9 - £900 back in 2016

Topsun Green back Charizard - £40 - graded a PSA 10.

It’s crazy to think what you used to be able to pick up back in the day.

1 Like

Its kinda crazy to me that 1st edition psa 9 zard was over a thousand dollars in 2016. I expected it to be less for some reason :joy: i guess because everything else was so comparatively cheap

1 Like

Bought a raw Neo Lugia JP at my local card shop a couple years ago before it got inflated and it was MINTY. $20. Graded a 9. Best purchase of that entire year in terms of value!

3 Likes