Artist Collectors of e4 - General Thread

That collection book looks pretty awesome! I’ll probably look to pick it up sometime. Thanks for sharing!

2 Likes

Of course! You won’t regret it

3 Likes

I actually started the exact same thing in the past few months.
I have my main artist collections (Sowsow, Saya Tsuruta and Hataya)
But then I have an extra 9 pocket binder that I am filling with either 9 or 18 (depending on the artists collection size) of my other favourites.
Its a very nice way to view and appreciate lots of the amazing artists in the TCG

6 Likes

Omg i had no idea such a thing existed (i never ever did a research on that thinking that all pokemon art just stays in japan or something haha!) thanks!

2 Likes

For @VinnieCannoli and others who want to know,
Correct me if I’m wrong, @cyberurchin, the original N AMerican box this was released in? Generations premium, was it?

I’m planning on getting it; I encountered it yesterday while tumbling down my Yuka Morii research rabbit hole. The book features some of her illustrations with comments, and the Masuda interview has a nice little bit about card illustration collectors that also mentions her clay work!

2 Likes

I’m also considering it when i found an unique muk art on it, was part of a luxio promo card but sadly every pixel of muk was removed from the edge of the art that would have been visible on the luxio card, would have been a fun cameo!

1 Like

I’m wondering what the full art was used for, as only Luxio made it onto a card. The illustrator (Naoki Saito) talks about the artwork going through a lot of changes, and specifically mentions adding Muk popping out of a manhole. Luxio was a promotional card for the Japanese Psycho Drive / Hail Blizzard sets, so perhaps it appeared on some Pokémon Center merchandise around that time?

1 Like

Thanks for additional info, i may have to dig in some luxio merch too in hopes of finding something!

2 Likes

Better late than never! Komiya and Kusube are now up to date.

Also, a new spreadsheet has been added for our new shooting star Shinji Kanda! His first card was only released 362 days ago and yet he’s already 11 artworks deep into the TCG! Let’s hope he keeps that pace up :slight_smile:

Also, completely unrelated. Possibly the two most beautiful pages of my Kusajima binder. Don’t think I’ve shared them on this forum yet.

https://i.imgur.com/6InG4MC.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/hq2X1S2.jpg

16 Likes

Speaking of Shinji Kanda, Pokémon put out this nice little article highlighting some artists who made their debut in the Sword & Shield series expansions;

Pokémon TCG: Sword & Shield Series Artist Debuts | Pokemon.com

10 Likes

Great read! Kanda is one of my favorite new artists alongside Souichirou Gunjima who is also featured in the article!

4 Likes

I really appreciate all the new talented artists pokemon has been employing to bring all this amazing new artwork. I feel like every set nowadays has amazing art down to the commons that can be really enjoyed! SwSh block has truly been a turning point I think in the TCG and I’m happy to experience it all happen.

Makes me wonder how SV block is gonna one up this generation :joy: .

Narumi Sato is definitely a newer artist that I’ve enjoyed seeing. I’ve caught myself assuming her illustrations were Naoyo Kimura’s work several times because of her similar style! I’m a sucker for art in the colored pencil/watercolor style. Reminds me of a kids story book

5 Likes

That was a fantastic little read! Sato, KATO and obviously Kanda are some of my favorite new artists!

4 Likes

Papercraft artist to complement Yuka Morii’s clay and Asako Ito’s crochet.

2 Likes

You mean kinda like origami kind of art?

2 Likes

Needlefelting is also a medium with lots of potential!

3 Likes

Never have thought of it but this would actually be awesome!

1 Like

Anyone else a fan of Shibuzoh.? I love their style and they’ll be a relatively easy collection for me to complete since I already have their most expensive card - the full art Galarian Moltres. Here’s some of my favorites:

I’m also considering a Komiya collection but the amount of cards is intimidating. I plan to start it with what I already have and see how I feel about it!

Shinji Kanda is amazing too I just don’t like the Giratina chase card enough to spring for it to complete the set.

17 Likes

Shibuzoh is definitely a great artist! I like their cuter style (cute minus the Moltres haha).

Komiya is definitely a fun one, he’s got a lot of cards for sure, around 230 English cards (before promos/Japanese exclusives) but I’ve found the chase rewarding with my Naoyo Kimura binder. Kimura’s got around the same amount of cards (200+) but many artists works are super cheap common/uncommons so you can knock out a ton of it pretty quick if you want.

It’s a longer term goal based on the expensive cards Kimura made (mostly the WOTC holos) but it’s fun and rewarding seeing my binder fill up fairly cheaply with art that I adore. I hope that encourages you to pursue it if you’re still on the fence. It’s really nice to see so much good art in a binder. Nothing like it

4 Likes