Art Vandelay's Pokémon cardboard imports...and exports

I’ve been a lurker on eFour for a while now, I figured now was as good a time as any to start participating. I rediscovered my love for Pokémon during the Pokémon Go craze a few years ago, and shortly after became interested in recollecting my favorite cards I had as a child. I consider myself semi-retired from collecting for the time being as I have to adult again this year (buying my first home shortly). However I had an amazing journey putting this small collection together and wanted to share this collection you all.

Base Set

I received Pokémon blue for Christmas when I was 9 years old, and I the first deck I put together was a rain dance deck, So I had to make sure Blastoise was part of my collection, I wish I could’ve collected more Base Set 1st edition, sadly I waited too long. Side note, this card was an absolute customs nightmare as I bought this internationally and the seller declared the package as clothing.

25 Likes

Team Rocket is probably my favorite set, I also fully support the holo change they made after fossil, it looks so much better, I tried to keep limit the the cards I collected from each set to have variety, otherwise I would have added the Dark Dagonite to my collection, it was honestly so hard to cut.

I wasn’t the biggest fan of Gym Heroes. Other than Scyther there weren’t any cards I really liked in the set so I stuck to just the one.

I loved Arcanine growing up, like many, I always felt it should’ve been a holo in Base Set, I’m glad it got its due in Gym Challenge.

8 Likes

When I think of Pokémon, I always think of Gen 1 and 2 and then everything else, I stopped collecting after Neo Genesis as a child, However coming back as an adult I discovered what are now some of my favorite cards!

When I first started recollecting I was set on finding a T17 PSA 10, basically gave up on that pipe dream very quickly, settled for a T18 and was able to snag a Lugia!

My Favorite card in my collection and one of the first cards I went after is the Umbreon. Prettiest Pokémon ever card printed in my eyes.

14 Likes

Suicune was my longest chase, card is pop 30 I believe. I waited over a year for one to appear in the wild, luckily I was able to acquire it.

I may have lied in my last post, The Light Arcanine might beat Umbreon as the prettiest Pokémon card.

That’s it for the WOTC 1st Edition part of my collection, I branched out and I acquired a few post WOTC cards that I will share at a later time. Thank you for looking, I hope you guys enjoy.

10 Likes

Wait a second… Mr. Pennypacker, if you’re here… and Mr. Vandelay is also here… then who’s watching the factory?

Nice cards.

5 Likes

3 Likes

My post WOTC collection is quite small. It mainly consist of cards I fell in love with when I returned rediscovered Pokémon cards as an adult. I picked these mainly because I really enjoyed the artwork or because I wanted to collect some of the rarer pieces of my favorite Pokémon. Though I did pick up a few heavy hitters.

9 Likes

This is the 19k PWCC Gold Star Rayquaza that was up for auction last year. This auction was at the beginning of 2020’s boom and I remember the price being a shocker for quite a few people and causing a lot of discussion. The card was bought as a collection piece so I had no regrets at the time and obviously none now with the way pieces like this have continued to appreciate.

11 Likes

Nice PSA-10 1st edition collection and scans! And I like the layout of your thread as well with the set symbols. :blush:
Great choice of favorite card as well, that the Neo Discovery Espeon is stunningly beautiful.

One small correction, though: the Aquapolis Lugia you posted in your “post WotC era” comment is from the WotC era as well. The e-reader sets Expedition Base Set, Aquapolis, and Skyridge were all printed by Wizards of the Coast. Nintendo took over after that, and their first set was the EX Ruby & Sapphire set in the ex era.

Greetz,
Quuador

1 Like

Amazing collection :heart_eyes: , youve got a very nice taste in cards! Also glad to see someone appreciate light arcanine as top tier art in the entire tcg