Advice for new collector in the hobby.

Hello!

Welcome to another fellow master set collector :blush:. I use Bulbapedia for my lists, not sure what the difference with TCG checklist is.

Unfortunately as you’ve seen most things got much more expensive this year which makes collecting harder.

The only price that seems high to me in that list is Team Rocket, but the WOTC sets have arguably seen some of the biggest price rises this year.

My advice (which I wish I followed myself) would be to go after the most expensive cards in the set first. I don’t know what your strategy is for building the set, but for new sets I usually buy a booster box or 2, ETB (if has a promo), then all blister packs with the promos. That will give you the majority of the standard set. Then I buy the reverse set on eBay and then buy the rest of the set singles off eBay.

For non-modern, it’s usually not a great deal of difference price wise to buy the whole set or buy them as singles. This part really depends on your budget, if you can buy the set when it comes up for sale, buy it. If that’s not possible, enjoy building gradually :blush:.

Whatever you choose, make sure you create a collection thread here to show off your collection and we can see your progress! Good luck :blush:.

EDIT: This reminded me of my first thread and Barry Zuckerhorn gave me some amazing advice, you should check it out here www.elitefourum.com/t/set-collecting-advice/24679/1

1 Like