2002 McDonald's Pokémon-e Minimum Pack - Japanese Set

マクドナルドオリジナル ミニマム★パック
McDonald’s Original Minimum★Pack

I picked up this set recently for around $800 from Japan. All cards are NM.
I plan on getting them graded once PSA opens back up.

I am also now realizing that I am missing the non-holo energy card variants, so we’ll add that to the infinitely-long list!
The picture is pretty large, so feel free to open in a new tab and zoom in. Enjoy!

Also my first post here. I’m excited to start sharing more and getting to know the hardcore community

20 Likes

Wonderful presentation! Really brings out the beauty of the set. Absolutely stunning cards–they are all trophies in my book.

2 Likes

$800? Damn these got expensive! That Squirtle is my absolute favourite from the set, the foiling makes the art really pop up.

Incredibly nice mini set! Unmatched by any McDonalds set that came afterwards imho. My favorite is that super cute Marill card… I definitely have to pick one up soon.
Congrats on this acquisitiin and welcome to e4!

1 Like

Thanks! I just set up a little photo studio, and will be taking more photos of other cards/sets/products.
I think these cards are really unique, including the artwork as well as the holofoil pattern. Glad I picked them up!

1 Like

Yeah it was during this year’s USA McDonald’s promo, so that’s probably the reason for the price, though I think I still got a pretty good deal on them being NM. As far as my favorite, it’s a tossup between Charmander and Squirtle. They both have great eyes!

Thanks for the welcome! I think it’s an awesome set not only for the artwork, but also because it’s an e-reader set.

1 Like

Really love the unique art in this set, not just your standard looking Pokemon. Had my eye on that Charmander for a while.

I think it’s still a decently underrated set and not really widely talked about, so there could be some opportunity, especially with prices dropping all around. Get that Charmander!

I’m a PSA 10 kind of guy so will definitely need to see what they’re going for currently, I’m sure still a pretty penny but we shall see lol.

Nice presentation, I like it :blush:

1 Like

Amazing first post and welcome. I agree with the others, very appealing presentation. Can’t wait to see this in a year when you get all PSA 10s

Just picked up the Cyndaquil for my collection! Really cool to see the whole set together like this though. I also have the Charmander that I’m planning on sending in once PSA opens up again.

1 Like

Awesome pick-up, well done!

Lovely collection. Congrats!

These are one of my favorite of all Japanese releases, in part for sentimental reasons. I had closed my Tokyo toy store by the time these were released, but my daughter was just becoming aware of Pokemon and so we would hit the local Mac every few days for about a month straight to buy Happy Meals and collect the cards.

5 Likes

Awesome display and a fantastic first post - welcome to the community :blush: looking forward to seeing your collection grow!

$800 seems like a steal considering sealed packs are going for over $300.

Great pick up, OP! I love this set.

Congrats on getting the set - one of my favourite “mini sets” from Japan for sure. That Squirtle…
I have quite a few extras of the regular energies so shoot me a PM and I can post a set to you.

It’s actually crazy how underappreciated these used to be. Just 14 months ago the packs were readily available for under $20 and I won this YJA auction for a complete graded set consisting of 20 PSA 10s and 4 PSA 9s for just $560: buyee.jp/item/yahoo/auction/l584146959. Suddenly supply of the packs had completely dried out and the prices started shooting up.

I hadn’t bought my set with the intention of selling them on, but less than 4 months later I’d sold the majority of them for over 5x profit… and I kinda regret doing that as they’re now worth even more!

They’re really great cards and the holofoil patterns they have - especially on the full holo energy cards - is absolutely stunning.

1 Like

I just bought this pack. Is this another similar pack as discussed in this thread? It seemed like a pretty cool vintage item so I picked it up.