1st edition in near mint or unlimited in mint condition?

If the value was the same I’d take the cards in better condition personally. I’m the fan of the artwork, a 1st edition stamp does nothing for me.

I don’t do graded cards and am not concerned with the value of my collection. I like nice nm+ binder cards and built all my wotc sets out of minty unlimited cards. In my mind its about the artwork and being able to complete sets without breaking the bank. That extra stamp on the card doesn’t mean much to me personally; but I definitely do understand the additional level of rarity and chase that some people like!

I’m interested in these replies side by side because they represent the two minds I have about the whole question. (Thank you assassin for such a detailed reply, btw.)

I am a binder collector and crack all my cards, or sometimes buy raw. Most of my cards have been PSA 8, or really strong 7s, with a few 9s mixed in for when they were cost feasible. Due to this, the grades my cards once had only exist as a foundation for condition rather than their certified value as an encapsulated collectable. They would regain value if I had them regraded, but for the time being they are “just cards”.

I began collecting first editions when I did because I perceived them to be more special, more desirable, and - indeed - more valuable. It was exciting for many years to see the value of my cards go up and up and know I made a solid investment in the more valuable prints. But this was more of a vanity thing. I did not collect these cards to make money, that was an added bonus, and the real reason I collected these cards was because I really loved them and wanted to have the best version of them as I could.

As I near the completion of this project, the value has exceeded anything I ever expected. It is exciting to have such valuable assets. But it’s also not why I got in to this. I got in to this because I love the cards. So the idea of there being so much money tied up in them carries some burden. What else could I do with that that money?

So in weighing my options, I sometimes think along the lines of assassin where I compare the cost to cost. I could regrade my collection, sell them off, and pick up a ton of coveted 10s. Or I could regrade my collection, cash out, then buy more affordable unlimited cards that I still love but with a lot more money in my pocket. I put a lot of thought in to how I might do this, how long it might take, and what I would end up with in the end both financially and tangibly in terms of cards.

But then other times I think I am making it way too complicated and think of things like thatpikachuguy. What if money was not a factor - what would I choose? What do I actually like? Is it more important for me to have the rarer print of a card, or is it more important to me to have the best-preserved version of that card? And when I really reflect on the matter and just think of what I’d want if there was no financial element at all, I think I have a preference for condition. This leads me to think I would be happier longterm with very mint Unlimited (or Japanese, which is another question) than I would be letting my 1st Editions continue to mature.

This thread has been helpful though and I appreciate everyone’s replies. It’s not a decision I will rush in to so the more perspective I get the easier that conclusion will be to reach.

1 Like

1st ed all day.

Unlimited and near mint. Allows you to buy even more cards with the money saved.

I am only a binder collector, so I would take a near mint 1st edition set over a mint unlimited set.

Here is to build on this question. I am creating a PSA8/9 set of Neo Destiny. Do you value sets all in one condition? Such as all First ed PSA 9 or all First ed PSA 8.

For additional context, this is a collection I do not have any intention of selling in the future.

1st edition cards are naked without the stamp to me. To each their own tho

What if you put little shirts and pants on the cards. Just trying to consider all the options.

3 Likes

I recognise that the market values the first edition stamp way more than I do. I’d choose unlimited mint in this situation, but what I really do is go for sets that don’t have first edition to avoid this conundrum entirely :stuck_out_tongue:

As long as the cards are bundled up! :joy: First edition and unlimited both are the same card at the end of the day. i just prefer 1st edition. I’ve also learned sometimes it’s better to get less cards and buy the card you want in whatever grade or ungraded. Currently I find myself upgrading abunch of cards I originally bought.