1/1 Magic The Gathering card "The One Ring" - It was pulled, graded PSA 9

Looks like the infamous 1/1 is making it’s way into magic!

The card

Where it can be pulled

BGS attempts to convince people to grade with them

The ring has possibly been pulled

Tweet: https://twitter.com/dacardworld/status/1674775833553121282?t=4hGTcgbOABwZowLZmshUJA&s=19

WSJ article

It is not yet known who found the card - or what will happen next. The person who found it for now prefers to remain anonymous, according to PSA

PSA graded it MINT 9

https://www.psacard.com/cert/77032826/psa

7 Likes

i very much dont like serialized cards. the lotr theme is cool though.

2 Likes

14 Likes

1 of 1 is not cool. There are already enough out of reach cards out there due to financial reasons. A true 1 of 1 card may never leave a collection, regardless of offer amount

8 Likes

Folks!

19 Likes

I’ll wait for the 35th anniversary $1000 pack reprint

9 Likes

Its a flavor win for sure.

Destroy It GIFs | Tenor

16 Likes

Itd be pretty fun to watch an extra surface one day

1 Like

What’s wrong with that?

Onion ring

11 Likes

The scenario of a 1 of 1 Eevee card where another big Eevee collector has it, and no money in the world would be enough to break up a complete species collection.

Or a 1 of 1 Charizard and there are more than 1 Charizard master set collectors out there.

1 of 1 is fine when it’s a trophy card for a champion, but not cool for a random insert in a pack.

5 Likes

I think there is something to purposeful rarity. I’ve always been turned off to the 1/1 sports patches, because its so obviously contrived. This definitely feels more in line with modern sports.

6 Likes

What’s the difference between a 1/1 eevee that you don’t own and it not existing?

6 Likes

Another blank space in my binder that can’t be filled even if I win the lottery

5 Likes

I feel like they’re trying to recreate the expeditions/masterpiece era with this, something that will get people cracking packs like their life depended on it. Back then (or at least now) it was lauded as both a success by players as well as a commercial success. I am sure this will sell like hot cakes, pre-order prices seem extremely inflated as well (though partly it seems due to it being a Lord of the Rings product). 1 of 1 is a bit weird to me, once it has been obtained (and revealed), all other sealed product should take a hit in value (no idea how this affects things in the sports market though, can someone shed some light?).

The idea of 1 ring is nice mirroring the source material, but then they seem to have serialized 900 rings for men, probably 700 for dwarves and 300 for elves? So why are those multiplied by 100?

3 Likes

In sports cards, if you get the 1 of 1 Albert Pujols cards, there is still a 1 of 1 Yadier Molina card. And after Molina is pulled, there are still 20 other 1 of 1s in that set.

1 Like

All of our cards are 1 of 1 none are exactly the same.

1 Like

It’s strange because when they did the recent serialized cards, though they were not for me, the response was relatively well received. However, this just feels like a cash grab and a way to pay for the IP collaboration. Wayy to much like Panini and all the sports manufacturers.

Just wait, we will see those Backyard Breaks clowns breaking this set lol

3 Likes

I love LoTR so I am excited for this set. I could not care less about serialized cards. If I pull it, I will absolutely sell it to the highest bidder. :upside_down_face:

3 Likes